View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
HeadMistress
Guru

City: AR
The Dometic/SeaLand T-Pump (overboard discharge pump) isn't a VacuFlush pump, it's a discharge pump used to dump the holding tank. I'm guessing that the boat has 24v DC power...hence the T-24 designation instead of the typical T-12. The T-Pump is among the most durable trouble free overboard discharge pumps, if not THE most durable...I had one on one of my own boats that was 11 years old and still working fine with all original parts except for duckbills when I sold the boat.

You said you "take great care not to leave the pump running unnecessarily." It should never run except to dump the tank, which means only when the thru-hull is open...and then not just left running for any length of time after the tank is empty. If it's run against a closed thru-hull the waste it's pulling out of the tank has no place to go...it's backing up into the pump. Based on your previous problem with sludge buildup in the tank it would not be at all surprising if the sludge clogged the bellows in the pump to the point of bursting it. If the sludge is/was even an inch or two deep, it's highly possible that it could clog the pump even if it's only run when the thru-hull IS open.

So I have a strong suspicion that this is another problem that a little preventive system maintenance could have prevented.

Marine toilets also require preventive maintenance...What's the make/model/age of the toilet(s) on the boat?

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote