HVAC conversion from rotary old style to digital controls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Has anyone done this? *The pilothouse we are buying has 3 HVAC units, all with the old style rotary knobs. *I never really liked that style b/c unless there is a way to adjust them that I don't know about, the fan runs 24/7 when the unit is powered on. *Even our trawler had digital controls. *:)

So- thinking about how hard/possible it is to convert those old rotary controls to digital controls? *Can that be done and still keep the same HVAC units but just change out the controls?

Woodsong wrote:I don't know about, the fan runs 24/7 when the unit is powered on. *Even our trawler had digital controls. *:)

Tony,* Doe's the fan cycle on and off on your*Monk's AC?

I have a Webastco unit with digital controls on my IG,* and when the unit is on the fan is running, although the speed changes to low when the*temp reaches the setting.* It would be nice to have a unit that shuts the fan off between cycles,* what make is your unit?
********* So, Sounds like you are going to be a 2 boat owner.* Good Luck with your new purchase.

********* JohnP

Keith, thanks I will check that company out.

John, yes, it appears I will be stupid enough to be a 2 boat owner again! :) You may want to read through the users manual on your digital controls on your trawler. Mine is made by dometic I think (can't remember) but it has a setting where I can have the fan on either continuous mode or only to cycle on when it is actually heating or cooling so perhaps your fan can be adjusted to only cycle on when the hvac is doing it's thing. That is really what I don't like about the rotary style...I get tired of the fan noise and would rather it only cycle on when it is needed to heat or cool. I like my peace and quiet. :)

Tony,* Good idea, if all else fails read the manual.* Hope I can adjust my hvac too,* I do not like the blowing noise all the time either.

JohnP

Many times the fan will come on first to lower the surge of electric required to start the compressor.

Tony,

There is a different jumper arrangement you can do (one wire) that controls if the fan is constant on or compressor switched.

Mark, do tell!! Converting the fan setting on the rotary dial would be a cheaper solution!! :)

Keith wrote:Sure, I used this unit and it's easy:
http://coastalclimatecontrol.com/index.html

Keith,

What is the set*Temp range on these?* The ones I have now will not go below 65* in either cool or heat.* I was told*the reason is that some folks like to try and make meat lockers out of the Salon and burn up the compressor under warranty.* So the manufactures impose the 65* coldest lower end limit to curb the problem.* But when leaving the boat over the winter I would like to set the heat at 45* so to just keep any thing form getting to cold.* Can't do that. 65* is the lowest set point.

i think you have to change the trigger assembly,and jump it into a differnt slot

Something about moving the purple or blue jumper to a different pin location (it took seconds). Call Cruiseair they should be able to tell you or check the wiring diagram on the manual.

JD wrote:Keith wrote:Sure, I used this unit and it's easy:

Keith,

What is the set*Temp range on these?* The ones I have now will not go below 65* in either cool or heat.* I was told*the reason is that some folks like to try and make meat lockers out of the Salon and burn up the compressor under warranty.* So the manufactures impose the 65* coldest lower end limit to curb the problem.* But when leaving the boat over the winter I would like to set the heat at 45* so to just keep any thing form getting to cold.* Can't do that. 65* is the lowest set point.

*Just tested mine and it'll go to 55. But for what you're interested in, how about one of those oil filled floor heaters or something similar.

Keith wrote:JD wrote:Keith wrote:Sure, I used this unit and it's easy:

Keith,

*Just tested mine and it'll go to 55. But for what you're interested in, how about one of those oil filled floor heaters or something similar.

Thanks.

*That is what I have done.* One in the bilge set at 38* and one inside of the boat set the same way.* If it looks like it is going to get really cold I turn on the A/C fan to keep the air moving.

Woodsong wrote:
...I get tired of the fan noise and would rather it only cycle on when it is needed to heat or cool. I like my peace and quiet. :)

Ideally, the fan would continue for a couple minutes after the heat or*compressor stopped to take advantage of the residual heat or cooling left in the unit.

Back
Top Bottom