Lewmar Windlass Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBreeze

Vessel Name
SeaShell
Vessel Make
1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
I need to add a windlass to our Marine Trader 34 and I have been looking at the Lewmar ProFish 1000 with freefall. Amazon has a good price but there seems to be some negative reviews that I am concerned about. SO I thought I would ask for feedback and real experiences with Lewmar Windlasses. I'd love to hear firsthand how Lewmar's perform and hold up. Are they good windlasses for daily use and how well do they hold up?:confused:

Our 2003 Mainship 390 has the original Lewmar windlass, no issues with the unit whatsoever and we anchor a lot. The Lewmar solenoid, however, is another story. I rebuilt (disassembled and cleaned the contacts) on the original many times, got fed up and bought a new one. One year later it had the same sticking issues. I ended up building my own unit using standard pick-up truck starter solenoids......four years now using that and not one hiccup.

I have had the Lewmar 1000 Pro Series for over 8 years now and it's been great. My model is power down, not freefall. I will often anchor 5-6 times per day when moving around for sturgeon. The windlass has been stellar as has the support from Lewmar when I had some parts wear.

After 8 years I replaced the chain stripper and gypsy. I had been having a problem with the chain piling up and jamming the gypsy to a stop. I guess I let it go too long and wore out the gypsy to the point that the chain started slipping during retrieve.

The chain stripper was about $15 and the gypsy about $130 so it wasn't an expensive fix and was completed easily without issue. They even sent me a free extra wireless remote control!

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom