turbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dosched

Veteran Member
I have a 1990 Albin 32+2 that needs a new turbo coolant housing. It is a Holset turbo model HIEM. The engine is a 300 hp Cummins diesel 6BTA 5.9M2. Anyone have an idea where I could pick up a used or rebuilt one.

alibaba

Has anyone ordered from China (alibaba?) If so, what is the wait time for the product. They have turbos for less tham half the price here.

Yes, Sbarmarine. Nice engine, non OEM not worth the risk.

Why do you need a new housing? What specifically is wrong with it, how did it happen and have you fixed that?

The riser which was custom made for the engine leaked and the flange around the turbo coolant housing got pitted. I'm having a new riser made but would like to replace the turbo coolant housing. The rest of the turbo seems fine.

Unless you need/use the power the turbo gives, could you simply remove it?

A displacement boat burning 2-5GPH hardly needs a turbo.

How is the boat operated?

Has anyone ordered from China (alibaba?) If so, what is the wait time for the product. They have turbos for less tham half the price here.

You are playing a dangerous game installing a turbo from an unknown source. If the turbo fails it could easily ruin the engine. Get an OEM turbo from a reputable company. The Chinese turbo could be of high quality......or not. All turbos made in China are not equal.

The riser which was custom made for the engine leaked and the flange around the turbo coolant housing got pitted. I'm having a new riser made but would like to replace the turbo coolant housing. The rest of the turbo seems fine.

Pitted on the outside or inside?
If outside what's the issue other than cosmetic?
I would replace the entire unit rather than trying to replace the housing only.
Try e bay.

Unless you need/use the power the turbo gives, could you simply remove it?

A displacement boat burning 2-5GPH hardly needs a turbo.

How is the boat operated?

This is a good question? I have twin 210 cummins in my 1996 36' Island Gyspy. I rarely run them at higher speeds. Although they are operating well now. If or when I need to repair a turbo or other exhaust component, can I do away with the turbos and just run them naturally aspirated? The trim tabs will go then also. Don't want to highjack this thread but if anyone knows the answer they can post or pm me. Thanks John

Re removing turbo, ask Tony Athens at sbmar.com, he’s the authority on marine Cummins products, and is not afraid to work outside the OEM parameters.

Someone wiser than me (I doubt too many are much older) may comment otherwise but the 6BT was used in Dodge trucks for years. I would think that the turbo housing would be the same. Might want to take the housing down to your friendly dodge parts dealer and see. (Now again, this might be a marinized part that someone wiser might just point out)

call Turbo Solutions 844-428-8726. they are a reman center and the factory master distributor for Holset
John

Someone wiser than me (I doubt too many are much older) may comment otherwise but the 6BT was used in Dodge trucks for years. I would think that the turbo housing would be the same. Might want to take the housing down to your friendly dodge parts dealer and see. (Now again, this might be a marinized part that someone wiser might just point out)

The marine turbochargers have coolant housings and the trucks have dry housings.
The truck turbo housing won't work as a direct replacement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom