Dock Shed Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I was asked for an update on our dock shed.

For those that do not know, while in Alaska last year, an idiot came plowing down Fisher Slough with his jet boat creating a huge wake in a "No Wake" zone. His wake caused my storage shed to break away from the dock and sank. The shed and its contents were a total lose. roughly $53,000 in damage.

He was arrested and charged with negligent operation of a vessel. The first trial resulted in a hung jury (we think the one jurist knew the defendant).

The second trial, he was found guilty and ordered to pay restitution of $32,000. He stated to the Court he was poor living on Social Security. He is now being allowed to be on a payment plan at $50.00 a month.

The payment is a slap in the face to us. So we are going after him in civil court, once we find out if he has any assets or he declares bankruptcy.

We have recovered somewhat. I installed a new shed, although smaller.

Attachments

• Shed.jpg
    Shed.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 20170922_115818.jpg
    20170922_115818.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3192.jpg
    IMG_3192.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 162
Go after his jet boat so he doesn't do it again. Good looking shed Tom. I like it when a guy does things in a big way.

Is that jerkoff paying his monthly fine?

what GFC says, take his boat. If he is that broke he should not be putting gas in it anyway.

$50/month for 53 years? How old will he be then?:banghead:

Isn't Dexter living in the Pacific Northwest now? I thought the last episode had him working in a logging camp somewhere up there :)

Go after his jet boat so he doesn't do it again. Good looking shed Tom. I like it when a guy does things in a big way.

Is that jerkoff paying his monthly fine?

what GFC says, take his boat. If he is that broke he should not be putting gas in it anyway.

Yes he is and I am trying to go after the boat and truck. However, if he files for bankruptcy he can protect the first $125,000. So if you put together his truck, boat and equity on his house and it is less than $125K, then I can't touch it. The one nice thing about this county is if you have a restitution judgement against you, everything you own no has a lean against it. Lawyer is looking into assets.

Is your new shed protected against a similar wake?

Yes the best I can. It is hard to find a company that will just cover docks....

BandB...insurance or construction?

I was thinking you meant construction...as I did..... as there are a lot of sheds on docks around here that survived Sandy...let alone big weekend wakes.

Not always possible for absolute protectionn, but there are methods that must work somewhat.

Tom, thanks for the update. Sorry it didn't work out better.

BandB...insurance or construction?

I was thinking you meant construction...as I did..... as there are a lot of sheds on docks around here that survived Sandy...let alone big weekend wakes.

Not always possible for absolute protectionn, but there are methods that must work somewhat.

I meant construction and distance from water level, although insurance would be another question.

I was asked for an update on our dock shed.

For those that do not know, while in Alaska last year, an idiot came plowing down Fisher Slough with his jet boat creating a huge wake in a "No Wake" zone. His wake caused my storage shed to break away from the dock and sank. The shed and its contents were a total lose. roughly $53,000 in damage.

He was arrested and charged with negligent operation of a vessel. The first trial resulted in a hung jury (we think the one jurist knew the defendant).

The second trial, he was found guilty and ordered to pay restitution of $32,000. He stated to the Court he was poor living on Social Security. He is now being allowed to be on a payment plan at $50.00 a month.

The payment is a slap in the face to us. So we are going after him in civil court, once we find out if he has any assets or he declares bankruptcy.

We have recovered somewhat. I installed a new shed, although smaller.

Meaning no offence... the new shed sure looks like a big plastic one from Home Depot. :popcorn:

And I know what’s in the shed....we brought home some “Moose” tonight, and had a great Moose steak for dinner, all on the ASD crew, Thanks Tom!
Now, go put sugar in that SOB’s tank.

Good luck, but knowing Alaska, I doubt you'll ever see more than your allotted $50/mth.

The State allows you to protect way to much from creditors.

Meaning no offence... the new shed sure looks like a big plastic one from Home Depot. :popcorn:

No offence at all and yes I got it from Home Depot. You can now order them from the manufacture now. It is very sturdy and secured to the dock so it won't be going anywhere. It states it will also take high winds. This one is a 10 X 7.

Good luck, but knowing Alaska, I doubt you'll ever see more than your allotted $50/mth.

The State allows you to protect way to much from creditors.

Thanks, but this was at our winter dock in SW Washington.

Jet boat? What kind of jet boat could make a wake big enough to sink that? I was thinking yacht with jet drives, but those guys have money, lots of it and insurance. Just asking...

Jet boat? What kind of jet boat could make a wake big enough to sink that? I was thinking yacht with jet drives, but those guys have money, lots of it and insurance. Just asking...

24 foot aluminum fishing boat with a 454 I/B. He plowed down the Slough never getting on step. My dock was empty (no boat) and his wake smacked the dock hard causing it to rock back and forth, which caused the shed to rock hard enough to break the hugh hinges attaching it to the dock. 2 witnesses were on the dock at the time.

24 foot aluminum fishing boat with a 454 I/B. He plowed down the Slough never getting on step. My dock was empty (no boat) and his wake smacked the dock hard causing it to rock back and forth, which caused the shed to rock hard enough to break the hugh hinges attaching it to the dock. 2 witnesses were on the dock at the time.

How stupid can people be? They have to know that's how you make the biggest wake doing that and they just don't give a damn. I have that problem on our lake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom