View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #17
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I am near SF, but the boat is in Canada. Yes it freezes there.

Corrosion issues from salt water aren't unique to me. I've taken boats from fresh to salt water and the corrosion begins immediately. Flushing with fresh water is a preventative measure, not perfect but I hope helpful. Standard procedure for example on outboards laid up for the winter. Why do they bother? The boat came to me with fresh water flush fittings and capability and I'd like to use it.

Now I've never flushed any of the boats I've had in the past - but there have been corrosion issues for sure. Exhaust elbows rusting, heat exchangers plugging up with salt and corrosion, etc.. Actually I've rarely heard of anyone NOT having at least some of these problems.

You'all are talking about taking a boat out of salt water, flushing a little antifreeze through it, and leaving the zincs in the resulting mixture. What I'm talking about is a bit different, and the results might be as well. I'll flush with fresh water for 15 minutes or more, not just a couple of gallons of pink, so most of the salt water really will be gone. Then follow with pink. Corrosion still happens in fresh water, just not as aggressively. That's why they sell anodes for fresh water.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote