Shower drain pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captbuddy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1978 Prairie 29ft.
I have a 1978, 29 ft Prairie. The sump pump quit working. Can someone tell me where it is located so I can trouble shoot it. Thanks in advance

I am planning on installing a 8" deckplate in the floor of the shower. There is no way possible for the shower floor to be lifted up.

So I took out two screws and the old pump fell to the bottom of the bilge. I will cut an 8" hole with a dremel tool, install the plate. Then cut a hole in the top of the plate for my drain. I will replumb the drain to a new pump in the bilge and overboard.

That is the plan anyway. I plan of attempting this next week. I bought all the hosing and clamps today.
We shall see.

Tim

Sounds like a good plan. Post lots of pics and it'll probably help the next poor guy that faces the same dilemma.

Tim. I can’t believe Hargrave designed a shower sump like this. What year is yours.

I agree....it is a big flaw in an otherwise perfect vessel.

1978 Prairie 29, Hull #6

But, It shall be fixed and corrected and then a superbly perfect vessel!

No access? Sounds like they took a shower sump and built a boat around it. Hope it goes well,inspection plate access hole is a good idea.

kokopelliTim; I will replumb the drain to a new pump in the bilge and overboard. Tim[/QUOTE said:
Took this segment of the quote as a paraphrase. Had a similar issue with our Marben. In the end the elimination of the drain assembly/pump allowed the drain to drop directly into the bilge. For us it is a "Twofer". We allow the soapy suds to sloush about and then overboard. Cleaner bilge and one less electrical component to deal with.

Al-Ketchikan

Update. Found the sump pump for the shower in the engine room. I think it was a loose wire on the pump connection. Shower drain now works. So glad to figure this out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom