non copper bottom paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardschmidt2759

Veteran Member
H as anyone ever tried non copper bottom paint ? I am thinking of putting it on over old water base copper paint . any thoughts ?

Contact the manufacture to see if the new paint is compatible with the old.

All the major bottom paint manufacturers have a chart of what bottom paint is compatible with which other bottom paint and what needs to be done to paint one over the other.

Ken

H as anyone ever tried non copper bottom paint ? I am thinking of putting it on over old water base copper paint . any thoughts ?

What is the reason you are thinking about moving away from copper based? Performance? Environmental concerns?

I know some people who use Pettit Hydrocoat ECO with good results here in Maine. I don't know what they put it on over but it works well on their wooden boat.

I've just put Pettit Hydrocoat ECO on my boat. Has only been in 2 months but performing well as far as slime goes. The paint handles nicely, goes on with a very short nap roller and looks like complete crap, then levels out very nicely smooth in the next few minutes. Smoother than I could get rolling and tipping Pettit Trinidad. Adhesion seems quite good - but we sanded to the barrier coat first. It doesn't stink at all, and you can wash with water if you are very quick. If you wait very long at all, then solvent is required. Each coat seems to take a little more paint, first coat we had left over from 1 gallon, second coat 1 gallon did it, third coat ran out and had to buy another quart (34' boat).

Pettit's compatibility chart is here.

I have used non copper bottom paint on my alum. row boat ,and am very pleased with how well it works. haven't re-painted in 3 yrs. just hose it off in the fall, that's it, but the boat is never towed, only rowed. I would love to try it out on my Mainship, just wondering how well it held up on a power boat. my main point is how well it works ,almost no growth at all. Thanks ,Rich

Sounds like good results so far. Now for the standard question.. I wonder how it would do in South Florida waters? Anyone down here have it on their boat? Gotta be a thread on this somewhere if I go searching...

My boat is kept in New Jersey, near NY harbor, it is in the water year round. only gets bottom job & new zincs in the spring. dive to change zincs mid season ,and is not used very much ( unfortunately ) currently using water base, but does not perform as well as the non copper on my row boat.Just thought I see what others thought about it , Thanks

There are many different non copper paints, some work crap and others seem to maybe be working ok. Lots of variables - brand, technology, area, usage.

One thing I liked about the Hydrocoat Eco is it can be taken out of the water indefinitely without affecting properties, and the when it comes time for a new coat the recommendation is: pressure wash and paint. No sanding. Now that's according to the brochure.

..One thing I liked about the Hydrocoat Eco is it can be taken out of the water indefinitely without affecting properties, and the when it comes time for a new coat the recommendation is: pressure wash and paint. No sanding. Now that's according to the brochure.
Unless it is ablative(it sounds tenacious),no sanding = build up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom