Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here’s one for the Aussies and Kiwis. 2010 build, Gardner diesel. It’s a little basic inside and kind of big to handle, but looks interesting!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2010/Custom-23m-Custom-Expedition-Style-3234599/ IMG_4159.jpg

I was walking the docks at my YCs Saltspring moorage and stopped to admire a relatively new boat (new to this moorage). I could find nothing at all that was imperfect. I have stopped and admired this boat several times now, but it is gone recently. My spies tell me it has gone on an offshore trek to Baha California. First to San Diego, where crew will get off and the wife will get on.
here is a sistership: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/hylas-49-3145172/?refSource=browse listing

Thanks to BruceK for pointing me to this one:

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/boden-40-trawler-sedan/222091

Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

My diesel mechanic friend and I flew up to Brisbane, went out on her ("Sea Biscuit"), then spent a couple of hours going over her without the broker being present.

The Perkins has about 100 hours on it since a "full recondition"; it runs beautifully
The Sea Wasp has about 92
All parts of the interior hull are visible (a first on any boat I have looked at) and so far looks fine, apart from two internal repairs
Four water-tight compartments
Excellent teak decks (you can't see this from the images)
She has been neglected for 18 months; been in the water since 2011
Heavily built everywhere; we will know her displacement when she is lifted and pressure washed for the survey tomorrow morning
The images are the least skillful I have ever seen; I am sure this is why she hasn't sold
The Lowrance Elite 7 is a sounder
There's plenty of room for what we want, and she is 40'6" in length

So I made an offer, subject to survey, and that happens tomorrow. She is the best off-shore liveaboard I have seen, so far, with immense potential. If the survey comes back OK, I will report more.

Thanks RTF; according to her first (2003) survey, amended and updated in 2011, she was built to commercial standards for wooden trawlers; when we know her displacement, that might be confirmed! And I will take much better images of her, in time, if the survey comes back sound.

Thanks to BruceK for pointing me to this one:

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/boden-40-trawler-sedan/222091

Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

My diesel mechanic friend and I flew up to Brisbane, went out on her ("Sea Biscuit"), then spent a couple of hours going over her without the broker being present.....So I made an offer, subject to survey, and that happens tomorrow. She is the best off-shore liveaboard I have seen, so far, with immense potential. If the survey comes back OK, I will report more.
Must drop the broker a line for a spotters fee:). He must rue the day he took you for a scammer.
It looked a nice boat at a good price. I hope it is, and all works out.

Murray,
Seaton was featured in Voyaging Under Power. Very heavy sea boats with beautiful lines. His designs have that totally perfect look about them. You can see it in the first pic of this example. Not the least bit vogue. Timeless.

Murray,
Seaton was featured in Voyaging Under Power. Very heavy sea boats with beautiful lines. His designs have that totally perfect look about them. You can see it in the first pic of this example. Not the least bit vogue. Timeless.

...and check out that fuel sipping, slippery arse end!

Last edited:
Greetings,
Thanks Mr. MM. Anyone care to explain the design/purpose of the alternating stairs in one of the pic's? If there is one, I've missed it.

Looks like an ankle breaker after a few rums.

Greetings,
Thanks Mr. MM. Anyone care to explain the design/purpose of the alternating stairs in one of the pic's? If there is one, I've missed it.

Maybe the owner is an orthopaedic surgeon and short on business?

Also...no photos underway...did they tow it out?

Just spotted this on YW

Attachments

• F8AB8D70-C81A-4498-810A-D99B4C89C0F9.jpg
    F8AB8D70-C81A-4498-810A-D99B4C89C0F9.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 127
With a good fuel polishing system you only have to fill up once in your life time.

Oh, I don’t know...following Arctic Terns on their 12,000 mile per year migratory path for a few seasons might be a cool thing to do :socool:

Last edited:
Greetings,

RT,
Its called a Jefferson stair, we had one on Volunteer down into the aft cabin.. it took years to get the hang of going down the thing ( the previous owner/builder must of been a lefty). The idea is the stair has less run while allowing a full tread to step on with alternating steps.

IMHO they are a pain in the ass.

HOLLYWOOD

RT,
Its called a Jefferson stair, we had one on Volunteer down into the aft cabin.. it took years to get the hang of going down the thing ( the previous owner/builder must of been a lefty). The idea is the stair has less run while allowing a full tread to step on with alternating steps.

IMHO they are a pain in the ass.

I looked into those and came to the same conclusion. The stairs we're designing now, in order to keep the length reasonable, have a 9.5" rise to 8" run. A bit steep compared to a home, but still reasonable. Any steeper than that and you've basically just built a ladder.

Pretty nice stern .:smitten:

Attachments

• 199E1FD2-7D37-4E95-9312-09A2540CAD1C.jpg
    199E1FD2-7D37-4E95-9312-09A2540CAD1C.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom