holding tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bud

Vessel Name
Izzy Rose
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 49
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum. We just bought a 1980 49 grand banks this summer. We are slowly going through the systems and getting them up to par. This holding tank system has been a dificult one.
I have read most all recent threads about holding tanks. With that info I have changed out broken Y valves, replaced black rubber hoses with the white hose, we have reran the vent hose so there are no traps in it, we have changed to RO treatment, we have cleaned under and all around tank and bilge, all to still have that sour smell, It is definetly strongest at the tank/bladder. The only thing left is to change the tank?
thanks,
Bud

tank.jpg

Two most likely sources for your odor: Bladder tanks are highly prone to leak at their fittings, so that's the first thing I'd check...Wipe around all of them to check for any dampness. In fact, although bladders are ok for water and fuel, they aren't recommended for sewage holding for this reason as well as relatively short lifespan (only about 15 years). So I'd strongly recommend replacing the tank soon whether anything is leaking or not. Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

Hopefully it's just residual odor left by the old hoses...that can be eliminated by thoroughly cleaning the area with detergent and water (no bleach or other chemicals), then spraying every surface, nook and cranny with PureAyre PureAyre

[FONT=&quot]It's the only product I've found that eliminates ANY odor. Not only will it get of diesel and residual odor left behind by stinking sanitation hoses, but PureAyre is also rated for use around food...which means you can even use it to get rid of the odor left in your fridge by the steaks or fish that spoiled when a natural disaster took out shore power for 3 days. Also does a great job on musty PFDs and foulies.

How to use it:
You can never eliminate any odor unless you first eliminate the source...'cuz as long as the source continues to exist, it'll continue to generate new odor. So first you have to find and fix any leak or replace the stinky hoses, then thoroughly clean the site, including every nook and cranny ...a good scrubbing with detergent and water. Mop up an excess water and let the air dry till it's at least only damp...no standing puddles. Now you're ready to eliminate the residual odor. Use PureAyre full strength...I'd use pump garden spray jug set to a fine mist. Spray every surface, nook and cranny...just a light spray. Do NOT rinse...just let it dry with hatches open so that plenty of fresh air can circulate. If the soft goods in the cabin have picked up the odor, just spraying it on the surface won't do much...you need to spray enough on carpets and rugs to penetrate to the backing...enough to penetrate cushions to the middle from both sides..not enough to make 'em drippy, just enough to get into the cushion....you'll prob'ly have to remove the covers and send 'em to be cleaned. Again, just let everything dry. If you still have any odor, you missed a spot.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
[/FONT]

The bladder is almost certainly the source of your odor. Like hoses, after a while the contents permeates the bladder and smells. To confirm, wet a paper towel and rub on the outer surface of the bladder. Then sniff.

David

Reactions: Bud
That depends on the quality of the tank, David...and like most things, quality varies with price. Nauta tanks rarely if ever permeate unless they chafe through the cover, but if the tank is a Vetus or worse yet a Plastimo, there's a very good chance you're right.

--Peggie

Reactions: Bud
Sounds like the next step is to replace tank. (I am sure it must be 15 yrs old or close to it). The issue when replacing tank is the hatch openning is much smaller than the tank space. Is it possible to plumb two tanks together?
Bud

It can be done, but it's not the best idea 'cuz it complicates plumbing...starting with both tanks have to be vented.

The right shape tank should be able to slide through the opening...A new location for it is another option.

--Peggie

Peggie,
Thanks again for your response. The info was right on. We replaced the Vetus bladder with a Nauta the same size, We also used the smell remover product that you recommended- Pure ayre. The smell is finally gone and I am so happy to have that project off the stern.
Hope to some day meet you in person.
Bud and Dawn

Back
Top Bottom