Conrad
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
RE: GPS settings, and Wind Turbine charging

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
Conrad, no offense, but I definitely would not like driving with you. You too Edelweiss. Come on guys - get with progress. Just because you grew up with flat paper charts/street maps is no reason to continue the mental gymnastics of vertical transposition as you move along. North up is just a convention so one can compare one chart with another, and it so happens the magnetic pole is sort of up north, tho not exactly. We do not travel north only do we? I tell you now, having been forced to do that 2 days, it is a crazy way to navigate in a boat, let alone a car....I urge you both to give it a try (track up), once more, and see if you don't find it a great deal more intuitive and natural. It makes it just like driving a car round cones on a road. The GPS shows you where north is all the while with a wee North arrow in the corner or edge of the screen - you won't get lost, and the sky will not fall on your heads...really. But...each to his own I guess...

*Hi there Peter...

Too Edelweiss? How did you know I drive German steel? Anyway, I know I'm not going to convert you but I could flip your words and throw them back at you. Why is it important to you that up on the screen is the direction you are headed?

I'm also wondering if you are suffering from Polar Envy (PE); if the convention was south up would you be more inclined to adhere to it?

With my tongue firmly in cheek...*
Conrad is online now   Reply With Quote