View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #17
foreverunderway

City: Grenadines
I know you are not going to like to hear this, but you really need to get an anchor with a much bigger fluke size. Up until now, you have primarily been relying on the weight of your JIS anchor to hold the boat, but now you actually need holding power, and the more the better! A huge plow type or Rocna would certainly improve your chances of holding in those terrible bottoms.
I also would be tempted to try to find deeper water on the outside bend of the curves and trying to tie up directly to the wall/bank. This may require using fenders or tires as fenders, and not having actually been up that river, the passing boat wakes may make this idea impossible.
Coming down the Mississippi one year on an 80 footer, I tied to beached (parked) barges several times. But, bottom line, you may just have to turn around and wait for a better year and/or a different anchoring system.
Good luck.