Gray water strainer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talonewo

Vessel Name
Shintullah
Vessel Make
55' 1978 Defever
The previous owner on my boat put several jabsco 34600 pumps, two in the engine room to augment the bilge pump and one for each of the two gray water tanks. Each pump has an inline strainer before it gets to the pump.

The pumps are old and loud and the rebuild kits are costly so I now I'm looking at different style/brand pumps.

I'm thinking about the whale gulper 320, on their website it says no in-line strainer is required.

Two questions;

any positive or negative comments on the gulper 320.

And two, does your gray tank have an in-line strainer? Am I the only one picking out hair and gunk when I don't have to?

Do you really mean a grey water tank that collects shower and sink drains and holds it for future pumpouts? Or do you mean a small sump mostly used for shower drains but also A/C condensate that has a bilge pump that pumps it overboard when it gets about 3/4 full?

The latter are packaged with a strainer that traps the hair before going to the sump and usually needs to be cleaned every few weeks while living aboard and showering daily.

So I am having trouble understanding what you have. If these grey water tanks are custom installed and not a packaged sump then I can understand the use of a Jabsco pump and they probably do need a strainer to keep from clogging the valves but I don't know of one like those in the packaged sumps that would work. The Whale Gulper looks like a decent alternative to the Jabsco pump but it would also be subject to hair fouling. Hair is a bear to deal with at both my home as well as the boat shower.

David

Whale Gulper pumps are very good. I use one on my shower / sink sump. It's a diaphragm style with duckbill valves. I don't have a strainer in my system and have never had a problem.

Ted

My boat has two heads, each with a shower and a sink. The shower and sink drain into a stainless steel tank, each tank is around 8-10 gallons, each has a float switch attached to the pump. When you take a shower or wash your hands the tank fills lifting the float switch and it then pumps the gray water overboard.

Back
Top Bottom