View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: Viking 44 ?????

I would generally give it a thumbs down simply for the engines. You will be very lucky to get 1 gallon per mile at 8kts...unacceptable in my opinion. I know these boats can be had fairly cheaply and it is because of what I just said. They are old and thirsty and loud and smokey. And if you are buying because they are cheap then you are likely to be crying when the fuel bill comes in.

The real question is..."What do you want??!!!"!!!! Do you want speed? If the answer is "NO" then definitely stay away from these boats and look more towards the Taiwanese boats with smaller 4 stroke thumpers. If you do want speed I would direct you to a Hatteras 40 ACMY or even a 43 with Caterpillar....those boats are likely to get 1GPM at speed and better when off plane.

Tony, I am in League City. If you ever want to grab a cup of coffee or a beer and talk trawlers I would be more than happy to. PM me if you want to meet up. There is nothing inherently wrong with the V44. I just think there are much better choices out there regardless of your needs/wants!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote