1986 47’ Marine Trader fuel system question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Hey guys. So I thought this thing had two 300 gal fuel tanks. But up top there are two full ports per side, two towards the back of the tank and two towards the front. This boat must have two 150 gal tanks per side. In the engine room there are pipes and manual valves. I didn’t have time to track down fuel lines, but I’m assuming that I can burn from the front or rear tanks? Or maybe I can just transfer fuel? Idk.

Also, the is this thing? Anyone seen one before? I can’t figure out what it does.

Attachments

• 750592CF-1058-43CB-A507-9F0DDA7B9F46.jpg
    750592CF-1058-43CB-A507-9F0DDA7B9F46.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 58
Greetings,
Mr. 91. I strongly suggest you take the time to trace out those deck fills. They should be labeled BUT no sense in taking chances. The last thing you need now is to fill your fuel tank(s) with water or vice-versa. Just a WAG but 1 fill for pump out, one for water tank and 1 each side for fuel. Our MT 34' carried 300 gallons (150/side).

As to the "panel"...another WAG, indicator lights for: BG 1,2,3= bilge pumps. ANC=windlass power, DEK=deck wash down pump, H2O=domestic water pump, FRG=refrigerator power, FU(E?)L= holding tank or fuel tank level. ALARM=? Alarm for what? No idea what the rotary switch may do. From the looks of the panel, as it sits, you have power to your windlass and deck wash down pump. The amber light in the top corner??? Maybe your fries are ready.

200.gif

Greetings,
Mr. 91. I strongly suggest you take the time to trace out those deck fills. They should be labeled BUT no sense in taking chances. The last thing you need now is to fill your fuel tank(s) with water or vice-versa. Just a WAG but 1 fill for pump out, one for water tank and 1 each side for fuel. Our MT 34' carried 300 gallons (150/side).

As to the "panel"...another WAG, indicator lights for: BG 1,2,3= bilge pumps. ANC=windlass power, DEK=deck wash down pump, H2O=domestic water pump, FRG=refrigerator power, FU(E?)L= holding tank or fuel tank level. ALARM=? Alarm for what? No idea what the rotary switch may do. From the looks of the panel, as it sits, you have power to your windlass and deck wash down pump. The amber light in the top corner??? Maybe your fries are ready.

200.gif

I had a pump out since I had no idea how full the tank was. It was forward on the port side abeam the holding tank which is just behind the v birth. The water tank is under the aft stateroom bed and the fill for it is in on the aft starboard side of the Sundeck.

But I agree that I still need to verify. But I will tell you it sure seemed like the full ports were directly over the forward and aft parts of the tanks. But I can’t figure out why and how fuel is transferred.

Find the fuel filters and trace back to the tanks.
Don't go anywhere until you KNOW how supply and return are lined up. Do not assume!!! Mess that up and you will either overfill a tank via return line or run the engine out of fuel. BTW do you know how to bleed air out of a diesel to get it running again?

Deck fills are usually directly over the tanks but not always. Look down the fuel fill to see if they go straight down or have hoses off to somewhere else. You might be able to stick the tanks if straight down. Just dont stick a water tank with a diesel fuel stick. Go to HD or Lowes and buy a few 3/8" x 4' dowel rods.

Last edited:
I will second, nay third the fact that you don't go ANYWHERE until you have a binder with nice diagrams in there so you can remember what do what where..... For ALL systems, because yes, you can pump all your return fuel into the wrong tank(s).

One of my pet peeves is that you KNOW where ALL through hulls are (in the DARK, by feel) and that they WORK. No bilge pump is goin to keep up with a busted hose/fitting below the water line. Finding it and turning it off is your only hope. Along those lines I install an alarm loooow.... so you hear it BEFORE everything is under water. And when I say alarm I mean a two tone car horn which you will hear on the fly bridge at speed. But I digress......:rofl:

Last edited:
Definitely you need to know exactly how the fuel system works. You don’t want to be using fuel out of one tank and return the fuel to a different tank because you may overfill the tank that is receiving the return fuel and it will then vent overboard. The fines can be staggering if you get cited for spilling fuel.

Back
Top Bottom