Window streaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freespool

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
Offshore 62
Hello everyone,

I am trying to clean my pilothouse windows and they are just not coming clean. There seems to be streaks, kind of like old water spots that just won't come off. I have tried Windex, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone,

I am trying to clean my pilothouse windows and they are just not coming clean. There seems to be streaks, kind of like old water spots that just won't come off. I have tried Windex, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

There is a recurring discussion of this common problem here.

The hint I've found most helpful: glass stovetop cleaner.

I rinse well with fresh water to remove salt and wipe on the creamy stuff very sparingly; wipe off.

Do a search for glass water spot remover. I have bought it at auto parts stores before. It has a light abrasive in it, about the consistency of a liquid wax. Amazon should have it.

I now use a razor blade scraper to remove those spots and it does it quite easily.
Sharp, new blade and flip the scraper fairly often.

We tried various cleaners to little or no avail.
After brushing the dust off I use a light wax such as Seapower.

Perfect? Maybe not but a huge improvement over what we had.

Now the biggest problem is what we can see on the inside.

Window Stains

Since you are in Dana Point, go to Albertsons and pick up a bottle of Don's Mobile Glass Water Stain Remover. It is a slightly abrasive cream with phosphoric acid - does a great job. No affiliation - just satisfied customer.

Vinegar is great for taking off water spots as long as they are not real thick.
Razor blade is best for the thicker spots.

Clay bar for auto finishes. Wet clay bar, rub, wash, wipe down with denatured alcohol.

Greetings,
Mr. F. Good suggestions regarding mild abrasive and razor blade use on glass glazing materials. Be careful using Windex or any "cleaning" materials containing ammonia (ammonium hydroxide). Vinegar (acetic acid) is quite acceptable as a general glass cleaner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom