Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This song by Doyle Lawson and Quick Silver may not be great music, but I think it contains a great message. It's true we can't always add more days to our lives. We can only add more life to our days. Keep on travelling. Yehaw!

I'm posting this one because I think it is great music, and the video contains great scenery. Caution!!! ALL YOU GUYS WITH A HEART CONDITION CLOSE YOUR EYES AS YOU LISTEN. Here's Billy Ocean with Caribbean Queen.

Here's a little follow up warning. Hall and Oates with Man Eater

Here's Foreigner.

Greetings,
Mr. M. I think it's cold shower time for you, buddy...

200.gif

I may have posted this before, but so be it. I just like it. It's Low Rider by War used for the intro to the Cheech and Chong movie Up in Smoke.

Here's Lynyrd Skynyrd with a song that became a rock standard, Free Bird.

This one goes back to 1964. The Animals and House of the Rising Sun.

Don thanks for posting that, one of my favorites.

The Animals 1964 version of House has become the standard but did you know it is a very old song? It was first written down and recorded in the 1920’s but it’s even older than that.

It seems that everybody who considers themself a singer has to sing it. Everyone from Leadbelly to Dolly Parton has recorded it.

Try this version. I really like this young ladie’s voice.
https://youtu.be/xHFAZtFeN18

Thanks for posting, Parks. I did not know the history of the song, and had never heard Julia Westling. Is she from the Miami area?

Hi Don, YouTube had suggested that I might like Julia Westling. It’s getting to know me pretty well.

You have more of a musical background than I have. In Westlings videos you will see several images of her singing at the same time. Does that mean she sang it several times and they were combined electronically? The effect was that she sang backup for herself?

Hi Don, YouTube had suggested that I might like Julia Westling. It’s getting to know me pretty well.

You have more of a musical background than I have. In Westlings videos you will see several images of her singing at the same time. Does that mean she sang it several times and they were combined electronically? The effect was that she sang backup for herself?

Parks, I'm not up on the latest recording techniques; but, yes, she probably did at least 3 recordings. She could sing harmony with herself that way. However, the instrumental accompanying her could be put on a different track.

I’m not up on the technology either—just amazed at what a few kids can do laying down multiple tracks. On this, one guy plays all the instruments and two others do the vocals. Pretty amazing talent.

I don't recall anything from Joni Mitchell being posted. She had a string of hits in the 60s and 70s. I think she sang like an angel.

Here's Money for Nothing from Dire Straits. There are 2 great guitarists on the stage that I think you will recognize.

Last edited:
I still seem to be lost in the 70s, but that's OK because it's a good place to be. Here's the Bee Gees with More Than a Woman

You know there's a lot of good talent out there, but there is just something about a super group coming on stage. You know it right away.

Last edited:
The Bee Gees have always been a guilty pleasure of mine, Don. Think I posted a medley of theirs earlier. I wasn’t crazy at the time about their disco phase, but I’ve come to appreciate the amazing talent they had to bring that off.

Here’s one of my wife’s favorite songs. For me it doesn’t get any better than seeing musicians from my era who can still nail it live.

WOW, Ian, that one goes back to the early 60s. your wife must have been very young when she first heard it. At any rate, she digs our kind of music.:thumb:

The Bee Gees were another one of the "over night success" groups. That is if you count about 20 years as over night. They have been performing since a very young age.

WOW, Ian, that one goes back to the early 60s. your wife must have been very young when she first heard it.:thumb:

She was still eating Gerbers baby food, I believe, Don. (That’s in case she ever reads this). What amazes me is the Tokens’ lead singer, Jay Siegel, was 75 when they performed that 4 years ago. Gives us all hope.

I wish there was video of this one. Your post above reminded me of Joni.

Here's one for back in my day when it was kinda my theme song. So, Let's Hear It for the Boy!

Still in the 70s here with the Bellamy Brothers and Let Your Love Flow. Double knit trousers with bell bottoms----oh yeah baby!

Here's one for back in my day when it was kinda my theme song. So, Let's Hear It for the Boy!
That song made its way into the soundtrack for the US version of Queer As Folk. Fortunately "the Boy" looked older.

I don't know what made me think of this, but the comedy genius, Steve Martin had a novelty song that got a lot of play. Here he is with King Tut.

However, Steve Martin is a good musician as this may prove.

Now for a somber number from an artist that was taken from us much to early. However, she left behind some great music to remember her by. Listen carefully as Eva Cassidy sings Over the Rainbow. When she sings 'high above the chimney tops is where you'll find me' it seems that she is saying good bye.

Last edited:
Here's one from a lady that just recently passed away. Aretha Franklin blessed us with a full career of her music. This is Chain of Fools that was in the movie where John Trivolta played the angel Michael.

Here's some good advice.

A nice little tune from Jackson Browne.

The Go-Betweens, an intrinsically Aussie band from the 1980s. Named because they were never the headline act, they just "went between" the other major acts.

Thanks for introducing us to the Go Betweens, Bruce. I love discovering new groups to me. Their good harmonies and nice beat sort of reminded me of one my favorite kinds of music. I admit to being a fan of the complicated beats of the bosa nova and salsa music.

We can't all in the tropics now, but that doesn't stop us from the tropical feeling. So, let's take a break from winter for just a few minutes. Listen for as long as you like.

Back
Top Bottom