Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First working day day at the boat for ages ?
No doubt you like the rest of the state are still celebrating the glorious victory by westcoasteagles.........flying highhhhhh.

First working day day at the boat for ages ?

No doubt you like the rest of the state are still celebrating the glorious victory by westcoasteagles.........flying highhhhhh.

Actually no mate. I don’t follow that game. I am a Rugby League follower and my team is the Melbourne Storm. We got hammered in the grand final last weekend lol

This afternoon I sanded back the internal doors and hatches then gave them a couple of heavy coats of high build primer. I’ll leave them alone for a few days to off gas and harden before flipping over and doing the other side. Once that was done and everything cleaned up, I popped upstairs and finished installing the pvc pipe for the wiring to pass through for the external items yet to be fitted to the roof. The wires will pass through it and down into the engine room then connected to wherever it is supposed to connect to. Inside; I’ll enclose the pipe in timber then upholster it in vinyl. The timber frames will also act as a strut to support the weight of the roof so it doesn’t put pressure on the sliding door. Well that’s the plan today. It may change tonight or tomorrow haha.

IMG_4295.jpg
IMG_4296.jpg
IMG_4297.jpg
IMG_4299.jpg
IMG_4300.jpg
IMG_4301.jpg
IMG_4302.jpg

This afternoon I sanded back the internal doors and hatches then gave them a couple of heavy coats of high build primer. I’ll leave them alone for a few days to off gas and harden before flipping over and doing the other side. Once that was done and everything cleaned up, I popped upstairs and finished installing the pvc pipe for the wiring to pass through for the external items yet to be fitted to the roof. The wires will pass through it and down into the engine room then connected to wherever it is supposed to connect to. Inside; I’ll enclose the pipe in timber then upholster it in vinyl. The timber frames will also act as a strut to support the weight of the roof so it doesn’t put pressure on the sliding door. Well that’s the plan today. It may change tonight or tomorrow haha.

View attachment 81684
View attachment 81685
View attachment 81686
View attachment 81687
View attachment 81688
View attachment 81689
View attachment 81690

Is the pipe temporary? ☝️

Yo mate, Matt! Glad to see ya back at it and glad you took a break! - U Bro, Art

Matt, you sir, are a machine. I don't think my hyperactive son could keep up with you when he was younger. You're knocking stuff off your list faster than I could make a list.

No mate. Thats what the wires will be running through

I have pvc pipes running between the top and headliner that carries the wires for the equipment on the mast; radar, gps, tv antenna, etc. Don’t forget to leave a pull string for the future!

This afternoon to flipped the panels over and gave them a hit with some more high build epoxy primer. I gave the toilet door another coat all over because the coat I put on yesterday was a bit thin in places and I wasn’t happy with the coverage. Weather permitting I’ll be able to gun on some Epoxy topcoat in gloss white then fit them in the coming week but first some more sanding haha

IMG_4306.jpg
IMG_4307.jpg
IMG_4308.jpg

Today I guide coated the doors and panels then sanded smooth with 320 grit discs. Once that was done I went inside and epoxy primed the wardrobe and door jambs.

There’s too much moisture in the air to spray the topcoats so that’s it for today.

IMG_4313.jpg
IMG_4312.jpg
IMG_4315.jpg
IMG_4316.jpg
IMG_4317.jpg

This afternoon I had a couple of jobs on the go. The first one was to fit the front hatch and tub setup. As you can see the tub hangs down a bit into the cabin. I was going to cut the tub down so the ceiling would cover it but I decided against it and run with practicality over aesthetics. The tub will house the deck wash hose, anchor bridle and the remote for the windlass and whatever else I chuck in there so I want a bit of volume in it. Once in place I was trying to figure out how to make it look better so I thought I’d take it home and make a sleeve out of the leatherette to match the bulkhead covers that I will fit later on. At the moment they are bare plywood but it should all look ok once everything is upholstered.

IMG_4356.jpg
IMG_4357.jpg
IMG_4358.jpg
IMG_4380.jpg
IMG_4381.jpg
IMG_4382.jpg
IMG_4383.jpg
IMG_4384.jpg
IMG_4385.jpg
IMG_4386.jpg

Last edited:
The other works I did today was spraying some of the interior items in gloss white. I used the same paint - Jotun Hardtop Ultra which is a aliphatic acrylic polyurethane. I plan to spray SOLSTICE with this product so it was great to try it out and work out any issues adjusting thinner ratio etc before the big girl gets some coats in December.

IMG_4361.jpg
IMG_4365.jpg
IMG_4368.jpg
IMG_4370.jpg
IMG_4373.jpg
IMG_4372.jpg
IMG_4378.jpg
IMG_4377.jpg
IMG_4375.jpg
IMG_4379.jpg

Shinnnney!!

After you get a breather... e.g. well after "Your" splash! It would be fantastic to learn the different product names you used for building and finishing to attain SOLSTICE's new life as the exemplary customized boat.

Shinnnney!!

After you get a breather... e.g. well after "Your" splash! It would be fantastic to learn the different product names you used for building and finishing to attain SOLSTICE's new life as the exemplary customized boat.

Crikey. Ok will do.

Tub cover and paint looks ecellent. That white is going to really stand out on the water.

You all know he is rebuilding this boat so he can escape to the US, where are the streets are paved with pure gold?
Of course he will have to two a fuel bladder behind the boat and manage his fuel usage until he gets in sight of the US mainland then he can call for USCG assistance.
LOL

You all know he is rebuilding this boat so he can escape to the US, where are the streets are paved with pure gold?
Of course he will have to two a fuel bladder behind the boat and manage his fuel usage until he gets in sight of the US mainland then he can call for USCG assistance.
LOL

Haha I’ll just fit a mast and sails and see where I end up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom