I give you criteria, you select the Boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrawlerMI

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
Willard 36 aft PH or Legacy MKii
Criteria: must be capable in seas up to but below named storms, will be single handed, min range 750 nm, will be a liveaboard, rarely see a marina, interior must be a lot of wood, like flybridge but not required, costs with required upgrades to be under half mil. Hint, two on shortlist: Willard 36 Aft pilothouse, Selene 38. Help pls, others??

Kadey Krogen 39
Nordhavn 40
Buehler Diesel Duck (various)

Last edited:
Nordhavn 46

The quindesential passagemaker.

How old?
Do you care about fuel consumption?
Living space?
Named storms? Named by who? Give us wind speed and wave hieght.

Lastly, to what purpose? Is this just a thought experiment or what?

Criteria: must be capable in seas up to but below named storms, will be single handed, min range 750 nm, will be a liveaboard, rarely see a marina, interior must be a lot of wood, like flybridge but not required, costs with required upgrades to be under half mil. Hint, two on shortlist: Willard 36 Aft pilothouse, Selene 38. Help pls, others??

Lots of possible options. We all think our own boats are the “best” so take this with a grain of salt.

North Pacific 43.
Flybridge
Comfortable boat.
Add solar and very nice off-grid.
Used cost FAR less then 500k.

The only issue would be the “capable in seas up to but below named storms”. The NP43 is not a boat that I would want to use in serious weather. I’ve been in my boat in truly terrible weather. It was not fun. The boat was fine. I wasn’t.

However, if you really want a boat that will handle those type of seas COMFORTABLY, then you will want a FD hull with stabilization, appropriately sized windows, etc... My boat is a great coastal cruiser which can handle weather, but not one that I would want to do an Atlantic or Pacific crossing.

To be honest, all kinds of boats out there that would meet your criterion. It comes down to your personal preferences.

You've got the budget. Go with a smaller, used Nordhavn and don't look back.

I think a Nordic Tug 37 checks all your boxes. They even have a low profile fly bridge.

You can probably get a 15 year old one for around $300k, so you've got plenty left over for shipping, upgrades, or more fuel....or you could go newer.

Hi

+1

Nt is good compromise on everything, seaworthiness, economy, single hand operation and if you want to increase maritime safety, you can add storm windows like Nord havn or increase the stabilzator and gain more comfort stabilization, possibly increase speed and go safety water.

NBs

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all but one

Thanks to all but one poster!! I really appreciate your thoughtful responses. Boats suggested are all good candidates. I do have one question, the Nordic 42 linked has a 635 HP cummins engine. Why on earth would anyone need 635 horses on a 42? Beats me that's for sure! For the one poster, sorry I upset you, if you don't like my post(s) just ignore them, you really don't need to reply, I won't mind.

Just out of curiosity,whats your boating experience? Why the "just below named storm" criteria?....

The NT42 has a CE rating of B, which is 13 foot seas and 40 know winds.

Efficiency:
From Boating World, in 2007:
"The latest Nordic Tugs 42 gets just a hair under 5 nautical miles per gallon at about 7.5 knots, and she cruises comfortably at 15 knots. With a 600-gallon tank, allowing a 10 percent reserve, the vessel has a cruising range of about 2,700 nautical miles (3,045 statute miles) – more than adequate for coastal cruising."

Nordic Tugs 42 - Boating World

Last edited:
To follow on from dhays observation that our own boats are very good, you could get an Ocean Alexander Mk 1 (like mine)!

The re-powered ones are not that common, but when they are available sell for low to mid $300k. Other ones will be +/- $200. Even less if its a 'project'. The $300 plus ones will have had decks and/or fuel tanks repaired or replaced, and probably engines. Some have stabilizers, but if it doesn't then $60k will fix that. Yhey make a huge difference for comfort when doing coastal cruising. They typically have 1000 gallons of fuel capacity, so your range is easily met. I've been getting 1.6 nmpg this trip. Enough teak to keep you amused for quite a while. I find managing the maintenance of it therapeutic, but not everyone does. I single hand most of the time. So far this year I have 165 days on board at anchor - lots of room, liveability is good. eg Washer and dryer.

Like Dave, my boat will take a lot more than I am willing to tolerate as a pleasure activity. I spend a fair bit of time in water that is 60-150 ft deep (inside the Great Barrier Reef), but often with a lot of fetch. So when winds are above 20 kn I don't like heading into the short, steep waves. Waves above 6ft are common once winds get even bit stronger, and heading into them (or even quartering) never puts the boat at risk but is endured to reach an anchorage rather than enjoyed.

Efficiency:
From Boating World, in 2007:
"The latest Nordic Tugs 42 gets just a hair under 5 nautical miles per gallon at about 7.5 knots, and she cruises comfortably at 15 knots. With a 600-gallon tank, allowing a 10 percent reserve, the vessel has a cruising range of about 2,700 nautical miles (3,045 statute miles) – more than adequate for coastal cruising."

Nordic Tugs 42 - Boating World

Oops, I was wrong on the fuel range on the Nordic tug...I stand by my assesment of her not being a sea boat,I don't care what "Boating World" reports.
I'd love to see the BW peeps in a Nordic tug in 5' seas....

Yea, would like to get the definition of "just below named storms". If you mean just before it it named, like a depression that could be upwards of 30 knots producing waves in the 10 ft plus range.

For "me" none of the above would fit that criterial. Would need a 100 footer.

"For "me" none of the above would fit that criterial. Would need a 100 footer."

Many sailboats 25 ft and up survive in rough weather. With modest comfort aboard.

The reason is they are frequently designed for sea service.

Not many "trawlers" have scantlings or offshore style construction.

The compromise of smaller interior space (more fuel and stores) and way less house above the WL and loads less glass is not needed by most pleasure boaters.

The Bebe book (first edition -second is just sales puff) explains the compromises .

Most folks seem to accept the living compromises required and lower cost and choose a comfortable cruiser and watch the weather with Great care.

Good hunting.

Kadey Krogen 42 is an option.
Richard on Dauntless has done Atlantic crossings with his.
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Sorry you disliked his post, he's got plenty of blue water experience with his boat.

The OP set a criteria of being able to handle winds and seas up to named storm conditions which according to NOAA's criteria is 34+ kts of wind. The NT42 meets that criteria and maybe other semi-displacement boats mentioned above also do.

I was out in those conditions only a few times in my sailing/trawlering career and all were in substantial sailboats. 2-3 were in thunderstorms that only lasted 30 minutes and another time was a bad day for crossing the Chesapeake from St Michaels to Annapolis where the winds blew at 35 kts all the way over.

Neither scared me much, although I do remember getting blasted in the face with waves over the bow while my wife huddled below, but I think I would have been scared on a semi-displacement, non ballasted 40' trawler with 35 kts of wind and 8' seas.

So think about how you want to use it. 35 kts for 4 hours in the Chesapeake where help is close by may be ok for such a boat but 12 hours in the Mona Passage may not.

David

Last edited:
Thanks to all but one poster!! I really appreciate your thoughtful responses. Boats suggested are all good candidates. I do have one question, the Nordic 42 linked has a 635 HP cummins engine. Why on earth would anyone need 635 horses on a 42? Beats me that's for sure! For the one poster, sorry I upset you, if you don't like my post(s) just ignore them, you really don't need to reply, I won't mind.

Hm... while many of us are perfectly happy to offer opinions and advice based on insufficient information (this is the internet after all) some, like Richard, ask for additional information so he can give informed, thoughtful answers based on his extensive experience.

Good luck with your thought experiment.

Our Nordic Tug 42 has 350 HP so cruises at 8 knots and tops out just shy of 12 knots.
The 1700 litre tank and fuel burn of 10 litres/hr gives us a range of roughly 1300 NM with no reserve. That range would be reduced with heavy genset or furnace use.
We've been out in 30 knot SE winds at the top of Georgia Strait where the waves can be nasty - 6-8 feet or more; the boat is fine, the crew not so much. No stabilization, and I'm not aware of any NT's so equipped.
With the the semi displacement hull there is good form stability up to a point, although I'm not really sure what that point is.
It is well suited for a liveaboard; the second stateroom is great for guests (No camping in the saloon) and/or storage.
Ours is the only 350 HP Lugger NT42 that I'm aware of; most are 450 HP Cummins or occasionally Volvos. The 600+ versions are very rare; I think only a handful were built.
Not an offshore vessel but excellent for coastal cruising.

To all responders thanks for your kind responses! On the bad weather question,, I used to go out in bad weather on the Great lakes when everyone else was coming in, cause I think its fun to pit me and a boat against waves and current, still do. Hence my seeking advice on good all weather trawlers. On experience, I'm 67 and have been boating my whole life, starting on rivers and ending so far on the Great lakes. Didn't mean to denigrate the one, the comment about who named the storm I took as ridicule, sorry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom