steering wheel jumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptFun6068

Veteran Member
I have hydraulic steering. The wheel seems to "jump". It doesn't impact steerage but it's a little unsettling. It's the same, at the dock or underway.
Any usual cause??
Many thanks, as always

Sounds like air in the system that needs to be bled out.
Have you tried bleeding?

I agree, air. Bleeding isn't particularly difficult; requires two people and a little patience.

Best if one of you has experience. When I installed my autopilot, I had the assistance of my son the avionics technician, but the actual process is pretty simple.

I agree, air. Bleeding isn't particularly difficult; requires two people and a little patience.

Best if one of you has experience. When I installed my autopilot, I had the assistance of my son the avionics technician, but the actual process is pretty simple.

Interesting - I have never had any help bleeding my steering systems.

Interesting - I have never had any help bleeding my steering systems.

Yes. I could have been more clear. My system has three pumps and one reservoir/filler. Hard to exercise the system while adding fluid.

Yes. I could have been more clear. My system has three pumps and one reservoir/filler. Hard to exercise the system while adding fluid.

We have always had two stations with autopilot and one reservoir- a hynautic system.
I have rebuilt a half dozen of the steering station pumps and bled the systems over the years while on a mooring ball with no help.
Here is a good link on how to rebuild the pumps with another good link at the bottom on how to bleed the system.

Hydraulic Helm Rebuild

Okay, okay! We're just going to have to accept the possibility that you guys are better at this than I. :D:D:blush:

Air in line

Thank you one and all for the info, especially the link. I'll try it over the weekend:flowers::flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom