View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #12
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
OK, no opinions on the holes so I don’t think it matters. I picked up a bubbler from Cabela’s yesterday, Power Bubbles 12v Air Pump by Marine Metal Products. It is designed to to be used in live bait tanks. It has two air outputs that can be T’d together if you are only using 1 tank. They claim it will keep fish alive in a 35g bait tank. I figure it will keep aerobic bacteria alive in my 50g black water tank.

I spent a couple hours at Home Depot trying to figure out the appropriate adapters etc.. to connect the 1/8” ID air hose to the 3” cap pictured earlier and to some CPVC 1/2” pipe. I got a 1/2” CPVC to 1/2 MIP adapter, a 1/2 MIP to 1/4 FIP hex bushing, and a 1/4 MIP to 1/8” ID hose barb adapter. I used the 1/8” hose barb instead of a 1/4” because the 1/4” seemed a bit too big for the hose supplied with the bubbler. I epoxied the CPVC to 1/2 MIP adapter to the cap with some thickened epoxy.

Tested it in a bucket at home with the car battery and it seems to work fine. The bubbler claims to use less than .5amp and produce over 5 1/2 liters of air per minute. That is likely overkill for the holding tank so I may wire it with an electronic timer on the same circuit as my shower sump. That way it is easy to turn on and off and I can set it for as much of a duty cycle as I want with the timer.

Pictures to follow.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote