Changes at Nordic Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My trawler with VOLVO engines is now 32 years old. I've owned it for 18 years. The VOLVO engines have been reliable. I do all my own engine work and can attest to VOLVO engineering being second to none. What I find appalling is VOLVO's failure to support it's products. Yeah, VOLVO parts can cost triple those of CAT or Cummins, but at least CAT and Cummins parts are available.

I saw a small aluminum box with a few electrical components in it, figure it out and Allied Ellectronics could sell u the parts for likely less $10. The Volvo folks wanted $750. Truly the Westerbeke of Sweden!

My Volvo MD2030, I mean green painted Perkins, or better yet Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery diesel has been rock solid. She's never given me a problem and the MD2030 has a pretty good reputation. I do most of the mechanical work and have never had a problem finding parts (I've even used parts for the Perkins Perama M30).

It's no fun boating with "The Sword of Damocles" hanging over one's head. "The Sword of Damocles" an allusion to the imminent and ever-present peril faced by those who own VOLVO diesel engines, due to the scarcity and price of repair parts.

Could be.....My 16 yr old (1800 hr) TAMD-41 Volvo has been perfect. Same engine used in every Camano 31 over the years. I expect it to outlast me.... For every horror story, there's a counter. Volvo diesels with IPS drives seem to be the preferred units on many of today's high end boats...

Huh, What?....Not going to find many happy customers with the IPS drives that I have heard of. Lots of complaints.

Regarding the IPS drives, that is whole new subject. The first gen gear that started coming out around 10 to 15 years ago was not very good. Don't take my word for it. Do a search on an Express Cruiser website and see what others have to say. The newer gear (last 5 years or so) is much more reliable but you are still relying on a lot of electronics playing nicely together, and if they don't, you are down. The drive service is annual, and its a haul out to do it and you hope they don't find anything bad such as a blown seal on the lower unit. Good reasons to have a prop, and a shaft.

Last edited:
It's no fun boating with "The Sword of Damocles" hanging over one's head...
The solution is obvious.Stop doing it. Leave it parked/change engines/change boats..lots of alternatives.The incessant complaints have changed nothing.

Conrod Cap

FH75
Yes, thanks for sharing. What let go - connecting rod, timing gear ??
Sunchaser,
The failure was caused when one of the 2 nuts used to connect the con rod to the crankshaft totally backed off (cylinder #1 closest to the oil pump) and allowed the con rod to pound the crap out of the crankshaft. The report from the metallurgical engineer stated that in his professional opinion, this one nut (out of 6) was never torqued properly. On this engine model, they rely totally on torque to "hold it together", there are no retaining clips (or other such devices).

To everyone who commented either on the forum or through PM offering support for me relaying my experiences, thanks!!:D
Regards,
Tom

Any current update on Nordic Tug?
In biz?
Healthy?
Going strong?
Anyone live close?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom