Sounded fishy to me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Brought my boat into yard to get the bottom painted. Got a call today from an outfit that is not part of the yard, but has permission to work there. They wanted to go aboard my boat and do a "safety check." I said "no thanks" and hung up. I'm guessin' they were tryin' to churn up business for the yard. What say you?:confused:

I would call the yard and ask them who the *&$^&* they let on their property scamming their customers.

My guess: an onsite contractor trying to drum up some business for themselves. Say yes or as you did, no. I don`t get the drama,nor even the need to get opinions about it.

Substantial sized engine repair shop is on site in our marina. Think that the building and yard space rental is the deal between the mechanic-shop and marina's conglomerate-group owners.

Over the last 10 years we've had good work performed by them. We live 100 miles from the Marina; getting there to just do work is not easily fit into our schedule.

Recently I contacted the front desk scheduling girl [owner's daughter] with request to repair small leak in proximity where this past spring they installed a new impeller in raw water pump on gen set.

I was told they would no longer like to do work on any older boats' equipment. Ours is a 1977 Tollycraft with exceptionally clean and really good condition, easily accessible 1977 running gear. She's an original beauty! I keep the full stand-up, huge salon floor hatched engine compartment in nearly pristine condition... kinda my fetish aboard my boats.

So, knowing the lead mechanic fairly well... I've twice emailed his private address asking if I understood correctly regarding them no longer wanting to work on older boat equipment, such as mine. Each email I also asked for a reference name of someone in area who would do items needed... if he has decided to no longer service boat's the age of ours. So far no reply.

Tomorrow I'm going to arrive early to our boat for installing 4 new batts in our house bank [current four batts lasted nearly 10 years] and to accomplish some other items to. The mechanic shop is often open on Saturday in the AM. Hope to catch someone there for a chat!

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Brought my boat into yard to get the bottom painted. Got a call today from an outfit that is not part of the yard, but has permission to work there. They wanted to go aboard my boat and do a "safety check." I said "no thanks" and hung up. I'm guessin' they were tryin' to churn up business for the yard. What say you?:confused:

Guess I would consider it another way. First, nobody goes in my boat when I'm not there. If they want to do a free safety check, I might let them as long as it's just visual inspections. When they're done, if they found anything, I would thank them and take care of it myself. :)

Ted

Could be legit, ask the yard, others you know there or get some detsiks.

If not intetested, sounds like the matter is over...I would let the yard know just to make sure they know about it.

I would call the yard and ask them. It could have been an eager Power Squadron or CG Auxiliary member doing free Vessel Safety Checks. In any case I would certainly want to be present when it was being done.

Owner present is required for USCGAux.
Really odd that they called and had your phone number unless somehow associated with the yard.
Another thing. No one goes on my boat without me there except the dock owner if there is a problem. Giving someone free reign to go look and repair anything the deem a safety problem is a real stretch on trust.

Last edited:
Sounds like an oil quick change shop. Sir, we did a 44 point inspection and your fluxgate ion capacitor is ready to fail and your car might run off the road and kill your family. We can repair it for $799.

I think that the "old Boat works" no longer exists. Here in Rapid City SD none of the marine repair places will even look at a boat that is over 30 years old. I guess that they have the expertise to work on equipment that they can't find how to replace on a computer.

Our boat is 32 years old but it is not an issue, but bottom paint can be. Copper bottom paint can no longer be used in Mexifornia, however, the yards may use whatever copper bottom paint they have until it is used up. I was a able to get copper bottom paint as the yard has scads of it, thanks to the boat owners who want the other kind.

There may be a "rest of the story" here. Maybe fuel was leaking, shore breakers were tripping or polarity reversed. Without talking to the yard manager to a get a better understanding, confusion is expected. I have found as I get older I at times get addled, maybe that is an issue too with the OP.

A few years ago a number of boats along our dock were suspected to be causing ground fault issues. The marina owner contacted owners or listed boat watchers so the local yard could check out this potential fire problem. I found out later that an electrician who we know boarded our and other's boats to check things out. The marina contract gives them the right to do this "safety check", as well it should.

Sooo - in regard to my post #5... I was at the mechanic shop Saturday morn. Learned that although they are not taking on new clients with boats older than the year 2000; that because I've been a client for a decade they grand fathered me and our 1977 Tollycraft in for continued service! YEA!

Installed four new 31M deep cycle la marine batts in parallel during Sat afternoon. The old four were exact same. I'd put them in beginning of June 2010. At 8.3 years and being that their orig product cost was $440... equates to: $53 per year - or - $4.42 per month - or - $1.00 per week.

Not Tooooo Shabby Gabby!

The new batts will probably average similar for long term batt product cost. I deal nearly exclusively with "Batteries Plus" chain of stores.

:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom