Moonfish
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Lots of tough questions.

A buyers broker will find sold boat data for you that can give information about boat sales over the past few years. A broker can also give you their guess as to what the market is doing. I do think that good used boats are selling for more now than they were after the recession, but that is just a guess. If we hit another recession, then the market will take another hit. Trying to time the market however, seems like a fools game. Buy the boat when you are ready to use it.

Engine hours is a factor, but more important is maintenance history and condition. 500 hours on a boat that hasn’t been used in 10 years is likely much worse than 3000 hours on a boat that has been used and properly maintained. In my mind, it would be very hard to make a generalization based just on house.

There are plenty here who have deep and intransigent hostility to different brands and types of engines. I don’t know anything about engines so I would simply buy the boat that has what I want and take the engine that the builder put in it.

If I had the time and money, I would have considered buying an East coast boat and bringing it to the PNW on its own bottom. I didn’t have either. I did truck a 40’ sailboat up from SoCal, but that is relatively easy and cheap compared to a 50-60’ boat. If you don’t have the time, money, or inclination to sail it here yourself, I think your best option would be to have it put on a ship and transported to Vancouver or Seattle. Heck, with the right boat and climate change, I’d consider the Northern route.

Even so, it would have to be a very special boat and probably $100k cheaper to consider having a large boat transported from the East to the West. Many boats that are built for one coast, aren’t necessarily idea for the PNW and Alaska. That might mean some upgrades or modifications to make it appropriate for our climate and cruising grounds.
That was one of the best responses to broad questions I've seen here in a while!

Bajabuzz, I'll second everything Dave said.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote