Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This one reaches back to the 50s. It meant a lot to me then, and even more now. Here's the Kingston Trio with The Seine

Haven’t posted here in a while because we’re doing the northern part of the Loop. Made it as far as Chicago with overall excellent weather, but now we’re paying for it with howling winds and Lake Michigan rougher than anything we want to face. So we decided to stay at the dock an extra day.

Don, the Kingston Trio was another “gateway” band for me, leading to a lifelong dependence on music. When I was a kid in Atlanta, I used to see Bob Shane, a founding member who lived on a farm in Alpharetta, driving his red Shelby Cobra through Sandy Springs on his way to Atlanta. It was love at first sight (for the Cobra) and I carried a picture of one of those cars in my wallet OVER top of a picture of my girlfriend. (Maybe that’s why we broke up?)

My local FM smooth jazz station is reporting Anita Baker is on a farewell tour. Surprisingly, she has been recording since 1986 so it`s understandable.
This is "Sweet Love"
Sounds a touch Nancy Wilson to me, that`s no bad thing.

Ian, you have drawn me out to tell my story of The Seine and why it means so much to me. When I was in high school I was a member of a quartet singing group called The Trends. We were dudes in that we had matching shirts. Folk groups were popular at the time, and we sang many folk numbers. We played the coffee houses around town. The one we played most the The Act IV Coffee House off McCallie Ave. One of the most requested numbers we did was The Seine. We faithfully sang the words St. Germain des Pres without ever knowing what they meant. I recently stayed in a hotel in the St. Germain des Pres area. It was called Hotel St. Germain des Pres. Then I learned what a "what a small side walk cafe" was really like. Thanks for indulging my memory.

Last edited:
Bruce, Anita Baker was one of the all time best.:thumb:

Bruce, Anita Baker was one of the all time best.:thumb:
Sure was,hopefully still is.Looking for other Anita Baker stuff I saw she was sued over a house (mansion actually)painting bill and threatened with arrest for not paying a judgement.Turned out the proceeding were never served on her, so bye bye judgement. And a 2018 vid of she and another singer onstage in an impromptu duet, she looked fit and every bit well enough to keep touring shows if she wanted.

Allman Brothers star Dickey Betts' brain surgery deemed a success
Associated Press

Allman Brothers Band founding member Dickey Betts has had successful surgery after slipping and hitting his head while playing with his dog in Florida.

The Dickey Betts website says the "Ramblin' Man" and "Blue Sky" singer-songwriter and guitarist underwent surgery Friday to relieve swelling on his brain.

A statement posted Saturday on the website says Betts and his family said the "outpouring of support from all over the world has been overwhelming and amazing. We are so appreciative."

Last month Betts suffered a mild stroke and had to cancel upcoming tour dates with his Dickey Betts Band, which includes his son, Duane Betts.

Last edited:
Ian, you have drawn me out to tell my story of The Seine and why it means so much to me. When I was in high school I was a member of a quartet singing group called The Trends. We were dudes in that we had matching shirts. Folk groups were popular at the time, and we sang many folk numbers. We played the coffee houses around town. The one we played most the The Act IV Coffee House off McCallie Ave. One of the most requested numbers we did was The Seine. We faithfully sang the words St. Germain des Pres without ever knowing what they meant. I recently stayed in a hotel in the St. Germain des Pres area. It was called Hotel St. Germain des Pres. Then I learned what a "what a small side walk cafe" was really like. Thanks for indulging my memory.

Great story, Don. I always had you pegged as a crooner :D. There should be a TF Glee Club. I heard that RT plays a mean set of spoons.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. Unfortunately, spoons are NOT on my list of instruments that I play very poorly with extremely limited ability. Piano, guitar, ukulele and harmonica is about it. Voice? Pretty fair for an old fart...

Last edited:
Here'a Taste of Honey with Boogie Oogie Oogie.

In my opinion it just doesn't get better than this!

Best of two music worlds.

It’s been fifty years since Mary sang this. She was only 18 at the time. She recently released a new version but I haven’t been able to get a copy yet.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. 50 years ago @ 18? I think the same description could be attached to the vast majority of the tunes already posted. What does Mick have to say about that?

Here'a Taste of Honey with Boogie Oogie Oogie.
They are good,and I see why you liked Shakatak. Afro American music has contributed in so many ways.

Moonbeam- This video came to me this morning. Talk about casual gathering!! I found the results refreshing along with the personal effect of what appears to be a at hock gettogether

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjZMDqnmBsg

Great find, Al!

Angus, May I follow up with this: In his passing, I had not heard him till now and it is easy to see why he was so compared. Charles Aznavour.

I was just informed by a French friend that Charles Aznavour, the iconic French singer has passed at the age of 94. France has lost a great enduring talent, and the Armenian people have lost their champion. RIP, Charles Aznavour.

Here he is singing one of more than 1000 of his own compositions. Yesterday When I was Young.

Bill Withers

Singer songwriter, inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame shortly before he died, who wrote many hits, incl Ain`t No Sunshine,Just the Two of Us and Lean on Me. Less mainstream is Hello Like Before, a kind of reminiscing love song, covered by a number of singers including Nancy Wilson, Jon Lucien, and Mario Biondi, who does it well. No moving pics,but worth listening.

I hope people don`t mind if I add the Mario Biondi cover, not as good as John Lucien`s, but moving pics,and a faithful cover. Biondi is Sicilian,versatile singer, from Italian songs to soul and blues.

Last edited:
Bruce, great smooth sounds for sure. The lady playing the harp had a tough assignment playing that riff all the way through the song. Thanks.:socool::thumb:

Ian, Marty (Pack Mule) plays the spoons. Alas, I can no longer sing. What voice control I had is now gone. and my voice cracks. With carpel tunnel syndrome in both wrists I can no longer play my baritone uke. I'm afraid that I am out of the music business. It was fun while it lasted.

Ian, Marty (Pack Mule) plays the spoons. Alas, I can no longer sing. What voice control I had is now gone. and my voice cracks. With carpel tunnel syndrome in both wrists I can no longer play my baritone uke. I'm afraid that I am out of the music business. It was fun while it lasted.

I hear you, Don. I have pain in the base of my thumb on my fretting hand that makes me wonder how much longer. They can do some amazing things for carpel now; have you consulted any hand experts? One thing we can both still do . . . enjoy music!

BTW, we just docked at Paducah after a 94-mile run on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. The rivers are very high and the currents were amazing—3.5 hours to go 48 miles down the Mississippi; 7.5 hours to go 46 miles up the Ohio. Long day dodging logs, trees, barges and anything else that floats.

Here are two songs that reflect the mood on both legs of our trip:

Ian, I had surgery on my left wrist at the Hays Hand Institute. No joy with that. They now think the main problem is coming from a bulging disc (stenosis) between vertebrae 5 & 6. So my fingers are not getting the commands my brain is sending.

Ian and Don, sorry to hear of hand issues,especially if it inhibits music pursuits. Lacking talent, I just listen to other people`s music,but enjoy it immensely. Just ordered a Mario Biondi CD found on Ebay. He even puts out Christmas albums, no, not what I bought.
Don, sounds like you`ve already had a CT or MRI to identify stenosis,which fading memory says is more narrowing of the spinal canal than bulging disc and may be amenable to removing bony intrusion :eek:. An EMG may determine the speed/quality signals passing to your fingers. Strange test,had one done on a leg..very odd. Ah, the joys of advancing years. Considered physiotherapy/targeted exercises as a possible solution? Worked wonders for my knee.

I'm more of a modern girl and like the more moderna Music. At the moment Calum Scott "you are the reason" is a favorite.

I'm more of a modern girl and like the more moderna Music. At the moment Calum Scott "you are the reason" is a favorite.

This is especially for you, Zarih. I can see why you like it. A very sweet tenor voice, indeed.

Bruce, if an EMG is the same as a nerve as a nerve connectivity test I have had that. Failed badly. That's when I finally got a diagnosis of carpel tunnel in both wrists and the stenosis. Of course, the test was confirming what the MRI had found. I had been wondering why I would want my fingers to do something, and they wouldn't. As they say, getting old is not for sissies.

Don,probably the same test. Maybe it can`t distinguish between carpal tunnel nerve impingement and spinal impingement.Were they excluding carpal tunnel by doing one wrist, before considering the spinal area? Pretty sure that procedure is not for sissies either, but if you knew it would get your fingers following instructions again,maybe you would. Tough one.

Bruce, the whole thing started from when I was walking or climbing hills my left arm would go numb. I thought it was probably my heart. An MRI was ordered of my upper vertebrae. That's when we learned of the pressure on the spinal chord. The surgeon then ordered the nerve connectivity test. That doctor diagnosed the carpal tunnel problem in both wrists. The back surgeon says he does not want to go into my spine because it could cause me even more problems. So, I had the carpal tunnel surgery done on my left wrist. No improvement on that. Nothing done after.

Don,that`s really tough,I suppose you have to reluctantly accept advice that on balance risks outweigh prospects of a good result. Is the advice from a neurosurgeon?

A spinal surgeon. I've decided to just enjoy listening to music. I wasn't that good anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom