Winterizing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartouche

Vessel Name
On The EdJ
Vessel Make
Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
My first time winterizing our new to us Mainship 390, I have never had a Dripless on the shaft before - Question is - do I have to do anything to winterize it, I am assuming there is water in the dripless jacket as there is a feed coming off the Yanmar to the dripless. Many thanks

Is it in the water or on the hard? I would drain if it's out of the water, not worry about it if it were left in a slip for the winter... jmo

On the hard ... just burp it. Slide it back with hand pressure and the water will come out.

In water, you better keep some heat on it. If it freezes you are done !
Remember that winter 3yrs. ago with 14 days in a row at -30C

(25yr. liveaboard in Mississauga, Ontario) with a dripless seal.

Attachments

• IMG_2482.JPG
    IMG_2482.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 66
If storing out of water, When you run the anti freeze through the salt water side it will force it into the drip less hose and therefor the seal. You will probably see the antifreeze dripping out from the shaft area underneath the hull all winter.

If storing out of water, When you run the anti freeze through the salt water side it will force it into the drip less hose and therefor the seal. You will probably see the antifreeze dripping out from the shaft area underneath the hull all winter.

:thumb: Plus sea water will quickly drain out of the gland when you lift the boat out of the water.

David

Many thanks we are going to be on the hard and will be putting anti freeze through the sea water side once hauled, will look for it draining out of the shaft. Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom