Crossing the Pacific on 47' 1972 power vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for sharing, she has great bones. What’s the range and burn per hour?

... feel sea anchor is "don't leave home without it" safety device, but my hopes are that I never get to use it!

It would great if you had a chance to deploy it in moderate conditions for the experience. A lot of us would like to hear back about what you learned.

I imagine 8 strand Brait would be useful for both drogue and sea anchor lines, in that it couldn't untwist like 3 strand, could be stored in a smaller space, and wouldn't hockle while being payed out.

While the 8 strand can’t come unlaid, it can be twisted into incredible lumps!
My sea anchor has a very heavy duty swivel.
Any appendages off the chute offer possible tangle points, all I add is a 50’ trip line attached to the center of the chute with a small floater at its end.
When I use the chute for fishing, I keep it close to the boat with the tripline onboard, so I can collapse it readily. in this instance, the float is placed closer to the chute, about 1 1/2 x chute radius to keep the tag line over the chute.
This works most of the time, but I have had some tangles.
In extreme conditions, I would hang a heavy chain at midpoint of the tether line to act as a snubber (catenary).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 158
An impressive crossing. When do you get to New Zealand? If you make it to Auckland please PM me. Would love to hear more about your adventure.

Hi,

thank you for sharing your boat and ride. It's always great to hear about other Trawler boats making long range cruising successfully than NH.

All the best for your adventure.
NBs

I'm not sure. At least, I don't know anything about that. where did you get that information?

I would love to get some publicity on my "old lady". And who knows, maybe some manufactures would like to kick in some equipment :angel:

I don't know about the larger boats, but the Cheoy Lee Association page has a note about a Cheoy Lee 40 LRC delivering on her own bottom from Hong Kong to Florida via tge Atlantic.
No telling if she had alterations such as heavier windows, etc. Bus as the owner of a sistership, I am happy to know that mine is a solid vessel.
Thanks for all the info on drogues and sea anchors.
JohnS

Hello fellow boaters,
Just quick info post here: MV SeaWitch is currently in Tahiti after successful crossing the Pacific from Mexico the the Marquesas Island, then to Tuamotu Archipelagos and then Papeete. The crossing speed was averaging about 6.5Knts over 2,700NM to Nuku Hiva. it took little less then 17 days to do the crossing then 3 1/2 days to the Tuamotu a quick over-nighter to Tahiti.
During the crossing to the Marquesses I had 1 alternator belt failure about 120NM before Nuku Hiva, that took 15Min to rectify, but needed to shut down the engine.
I'm planning to continue to New Zealand around the end of September which will give me 40-50 days to make the 3,100NM voyage.

I know many people are talking of doing it, but very few actually really go. I did prepare myself and the boat for quite few years, and now I'm proud the say that I did cross the Equator on my own bottom completing the longest leg from around the world trip where you can't stop and refuel.

more information about the boat can be found at www.seawitch.ca

How wonderful!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom