I am on the mat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BILL GOOD1

Vessel Name
WYUNA
Vessel Make
SIMPSON 30
I am here looking & asking questions as I continue into the age of insignificance whilst looking for a cheap to own boat to own after selling a sailing cat that I had for over 20 yrs. (Both the sailing cat & I got too old together!!). I found this forum while looking for information & saw an other with a Finn 8 (which has taken my eye). So if bogramjac1 (sent PM) spots me "on the mat" please help!!

Regards

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.
A cheap to own boat? Utopia!

L

Thanks Lou,
Yes Truth is Stranger than Fiction!

Regards

Greetings,
Mr. BG1. Welcome aboard.

Mr. B. Oxymoron? As in..."knowledge here"?

giphy.gif

I've a boat picture to sell ya cheep!

Welcome to lots of "cheaply" acquired [more often than not correct] intelligent boat-answers on TF... Yet to see cheep boat for sale. You don't by chance mean cheap boat to be in simile with cheep gal... do ya?? LOL Cause, after-all, you do know that most boats have female souls. Well, except German U Boats in WWII... they simply had a fcked-up sole embedded by the nation's leader!

In my decades of boating have traveled well beyond "cheep" re boats... in that two boats I owned sold at a profit; even when considering orig price and overall ownership costs put together.

Is there a Craigslist in Australia? That's where the real cheap boats get posted.

OK you are all correct I am still looking!! No cheap boats!! Question- 40' semi displacement with twin 3208 cat shaft drives. Very hi fuel flow so how would it work out using higher power on one V lower power on two? My experience of "other twin engine" modes of transport indicate better gnm/gal on one than two. Also 1/2 the engine hrs.

(Fuel is nearly 4X the cost here in the "lucky country")

Regards

It is not how much it is more is it a fair value. I initially was taken by the appearance of that Finn 8 & did try to contact the member here who has one for details. I did contact the broker & inspected the said vessel but it is not in a fair condition to be offered for sale. From a distance it looked OK but not a vessel for the Wife. So any advise on the question of one V two for best gnm/gal. Speed not the main issue but having twin engines for getting home if one is unhappy is being considered. The vessel I am looking at is poles apart from the Finn!.

Thread moved from 'Welcome Mat' to 'General Discussion'.

There are more variables than just 1 engine or two. My boat comes with single or twin options.

Single: 6cyl. 315HP

Twin: 4 cyl. 230HP

The twin is pushing a total max. of 460HP with 8 cylinders combined. However, it reaches higher cruising and max speeds and burns a higher GPH. Mine is pushing 315 hp with 6 cylinders, but has a slower cruise and max speed.

I have a towing contract with a towing service that covers my navigation range.

Thanks Shrew for moving me into general discussions.

Still working on the how to do this forum stuff!! The lack of operational experience of the higher powered boat is what I am trying to bridge. The twin engine question is more for being self reliant than speed.

That is why I was trying to ask for the ground nm /gal. between low power on two V higher power on one engine at the displacement speeds. i.e. 8kt range V 17kts is a big difference to the operating cost for fuel for the same distance covered. It is distance covered cruising that I am working at. (I expect the need for a brake on the non operating shaft found from the sailing background).

Around here in PNW there is a saying that “you cannot give away” the older wood Chris Crafts. These make great boats for our area and can be bought in good working order for about $60K USD. Not sure they would handle the water where you are?

Well, my Albin-25 was cheap. Then we started spending money after we purchased her. :)

Update, Getting close. Found a 30' custom built all epoxy glass 5t displacement boat that looks OK but the engine is a bit of a worry. Nissan SD33 (Chrysler marine in USA). The things like water cooled exhaust manifold, Mixing elbow etc are proving hard to find. Anyone owned one of these engines in a boat?? Not found any here in Australia in boats yet.

(It looks like Moby Nick!!)

Regards

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom