Great YouTube videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Engine Room Checklist

Thanks Jim. May seem silly to others but as a newb I am curious as to what other people look at or record when they check the engine room while cruising. Appreciate seeing your lists.

Hope it helps. Remember, we are certainly no experts. The list is just what we have developed over the years of cruising. We do make it a point when we have guest for extended cruises, (more than a week), and if appropriate, we have guest do engine room checks and follow the list and participate in all the "boat operation" stuff. (navigation, watch schedule, course planning, etc.) We have found it helps guest stay fully engaged in the cruising process.

Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture

Sea Venture Refit is Done - New video posted

If interested, we have posted a new video in our refit series on YouTube. The refit is now done and we are headed to SE Alaska and Glacier Bay for the summer. Our plans our to return to Puget Sound in the fall and in 2019 head south to Mexico and beyond.

If interested, we have posted a new video in our refit series on YouTube. The refit is now done and we are headed to SE Alaska and Glacier Bay for the summer. Our plans our to return to Puget Sound in the fall and in 2019 head south to Mexico and beyond.

I keep checking to see if you have posted another. Thanks for the heads-up. I am sitting at anchor at Penrose Point, I may wait to watch it when I get home.

I’m really looking forward to vids of your trip North.

Thanks for another interesting video Jim and Rosie. The new superstructure appears very functional and looks good on your boat. Enjoy your summer cruising, we’ll be following along online.

For those interested, we are now posting videos from our 3,002 NM summer cruise throughout SE Alaska. The series, once all posted, includes our cruise from Puget Sound to SE Alaska, cruising the remote west cost of Baranof Island, cruising in 10-12 foot seas with our new paravane system, exploring Glacier Bay, experiencing 50 knot winds, and lots of whales, bears, etc.

So far, 7 videos are posted in the series.

Here is a link to the latest episode.

Thanks,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture

Glad to see you back here. I’ve been following your videos on your trip and have enjoyed them so far and am looking forward to more.

We were so tickled to see the latest video from you guys. It seems that your stabilizers are really working out well.

As always, we look forward to seeing what will come next.

Flat seas and...wait...what was it? ;)

For those interested, we are now posting videos from our 3,002 NM summer cruise throughout SE Alaska. The series, once all posted, includes our cruise from Puget Sound to SE Alaska, cruising the remote west cost of Baranof Island, cruising in 10-12 foot seas with our new paravane system, exploring Glacier Bay, experiencing 50 knot winds, and lots of whales, bears, etc.

Can you post a link to the one highlighting paravanes? Thanks!

Can you post a link to the one highlighting paravanes? Thanks!

Murray, :flowers: Just out of interest?

Appears to be duplicate of commercial troller setup, no mystery.
Wander down to the Prince Rupert floats next opportunity and gander at the various similar design objective on these boats.

Are you indicating that your tug requires such installation? I'd be surprised with your low center of G. stabilizers would enhance to a personal comfort'fiscal investment, rather a weather eye, even with the rare occasion of being "Caught". would suffice. Butt ugly too in my opinion, to the design of a "Tug".

All of this based on my prior boat that was similar in hull design/specifications as a Sundowner plus actual experiences of being "Caught" on occasion.

Al-Ketchikan

Hi Murray,

We did an entire series on the deck reinforcement / superstructure / paravane design and build.

If interested you can go to our YouTube page, click on the tab labeled "Playlist" and watch the series for the refit.

We did the refit because we do a fair amount of ocean travel (ie: Seattle to Mexico, Seattle to Hawaii, Mexico to the Galapagos Islands, etc). If you are primarily doing coastal cruising then I would not recommend such an extensive stabilization system.

Thanks,
Jim

I've followed www.myoloh.com from the beginning. Very well written w/ excellent photography and videos. Also, crew post here often.

Hi Murray,

We did an entire series on the deck reinforcement / superstructure / paravane design and build.

If interested you can go to our YouTube page, click on the tab labeled "Playlist" and watch the series for the refit.

We did the refit because we do a fair amount of ocean travel (ie: Seattle to Mexico, Seattle to Hawaii, Mexico to the Galapagos Islands, etc). If you are primarily doing coastal cruising then I would not recommend such an extensive stabilization system.

Thanks,
Jim

You nicely made my point. It makes perfect sense. By the way, I picked up your adventures some time back where you were in the lower BC portion and now happy to read the latest. Well presented.

Al-Ketchikan

I like the Boat Works Today videos. Lot of good DIY vedios.

For East Coast - Bahamas

I have been following Cyndi and Sheldon on the Searching for C-Shels youtube channel.

Charming couple making nice trips from Canada down to the Bahamas at trawler speed in their Tollycraft 44. They show the fun cruising and the not so fun fixing.

They unfortunately don't post on a regular schedule but are starting to try to release at least one a month.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RideauCShel/videos

Cyndi and Sheldon on Searching for C-Shels are fun to watch. We have had the chance to email them back and forth (they are a recommended channel on our YouTube channel) and are great.

We can fully appreciate the time needed to produce the videos. We spend about 20 hours for each 20 minute video in post-production time. Not as much time as some high quality channels (like S/V Delos), but it's just a hobby for us so we work on videos when we have time and upload when we have a good hi-speed connection.

We can fully appreciate the time needed to produce the videos. We spend about 20 hours for each 20 minute video in post-production time. Not as much time as some high quality channels (like S/V Delos), but it's just a hobby for us so we work on videos when we have time and upload when we have a good hi-speed connection.

As I’ve said, I enjoy your videos. Even more importantly, my wife enjoys them and she is very hard to please.

Not that my opinion matters one whit, but I have felt that your videos have been improving as you have gotten more familiar with the medium. I would recommend that you don’t spend too much effort on “high quality”. As you say, it isn’t a vocation but an avocation. If the post-production becomes too much like work, then you won’t enjoy it and it will quickly become a chore. So what you can to streamline your workflow so you can produce a video as quickly and easily as possible. Those of us interested in the content will enjoy them regardless of any incremental production values.

Al sent me this one since I expressed an interest in paravanes. It's a well done video, but I have a hunch this system is a tad more complex than what you'd find on a working commercial fishing boat here on BC's north coast:

For those interested, we have posted the 8th video in our summer cruise series to SE Alaska.

In this latest episode we explore Sitka and cruise on toward toward Juneau.

If you want to receive an email when a new video is posted, just "Subscribe" on the YouTube channel and click on the "Notifications" icon. (it looks like a bell).

Here is a link to the latest video. Enjoy

Jim and Rosy
M/V Sea Venture

Coincidentally, I happened to watch it around 7:30 this morning. Keep them coming.

Hey, Rose and Jim. I found you guys a week ago utube. I've been catching up on your vids. Thanks for posting them up here. Awesome refit series. I really liked the dingy redo and the paravane build and install. Everything in your videos has been very educational and interesting. I look forward to y'alls travels abroad.

These are some great videos and they really help build a shopping list of requirements for someone like myself who is in the planning stages.
I like the music selections the Searching for C-Shels couple uses and I wonder if the end credits are enough for the use or if they had to get an agreement.

Hoping some new channels are posted here.

These are some great videos and they really help build a shopping list of requirements for someone like myself who is in the planning stages.
I like the music selections the Searching for C-Shels couple uses and I wonder if the end credits are enough for the use or if they had to get an agreement.

Youtube is pretty strict about following copyright so I'm pretty sure the couple from Searching for C-Shels is above board. They DO have some cheery music.

Wish they'd post more, spend a lot of time waiting for their next east coast or caribbean adventure.

Jim and Rosy or others,

Since you mentioned adding a compressor in the engine room tour: Wondering how you scuba from Sea Venture or any boat with a high transom. I have been thinking that I would have to have a cockpit or some other low rear deck.

Also when you dive, what safety measures do you take as far as leaving the boat as a pair? Only dive when extra people are on the boat? Tether to the dingy?(seems like a PITA)

Any tricks?

Jim and Rosy or others,

Since you mentioned adding a compressor in the engine room tour: Wondering how you scuba from Sea Venture or any boat with a high transom. I have been thinking that I would have to have a cockpit or some other low rear deck.

Also when you dive, what safety measures do you take as far as leaving the boat as a pair? Only dive when extra people are on the boat? Tether to the dingy?(seems like a PITA)

Any tricks?

Great Question. The old owner did it from our completely worthless swim step, which in my opinion is way to small. We are currently working on a design for a new swim platform that will be about 4' deep, with steps down to it. (instead of the existing ladder) There are a couple of different options. One is an aluminum platform supported from the bottom and top. Option 2 is a 4' hull extension at the swim platform level. We are currently waiting on pricing on both options. I suspect the hull extension with prove cost prohibitive, but if you have watched our refit series you will see I'm not afraid of spending a lot of money on Sea Venture.

I'll keep you posted on the options and what we choose to do.

Also, we leave the boat at anchor all the time. We just make sure the anchor is well set with plenty of scope out. It helps that we have very heavy ground tackle - I think the weight makes a big difference of how well an anchor holds. If diving from the tender we either anchor it or a third person stays with the tender.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,
Jim

Youtube is pretty strict about following copyright so I'm pretty sure the couple from Searching for C-Shels is above board. They DO have some cheery music.

Wish they'd post more, spend a lot of time waiting for their next east coast or caribbean adventure.

C-Shels do have great music. It something we need to work on . . . . :)

For those interested, we have posted the 9th video in our summer cruise series to SE Alaska.

In this episode, we start out by coming across what looked like several pods of Orca's! At one point we didn't know which way to look because they were all around us.

We followed that up with an otherwise uneventful cruise to Auke Bay in Juneau. The fishing fleet was still in port, so that make docking a very EXACTING experience.

We check out the town of Juneau, go to the airport to pick up our daughter Michelle, then head off for our next adventure in Hoonah.

There we learn about the the history of the Native Americans who once inhabited Glacier Bay by checking out cedar hats, drums, stories and songs. We had an amazing one on one experience.

Then, we are off to Glacier Bay and request permission to enter the park grounds a day earlier than our park pass allowed for.

If you want to receive an email when a new video is posted, just "Subscribe" on the YouTube channel and click on the "Notifications" icon. (it looks like a bell).

Here is a link to the latest video. Enjoy

Jim and Rosy
M/V Sea Venture

Here are the channels that I have found that I don't see listed here In the order that YouTube lists them. Some are better than others.

winty
Technomadia
The Boat Life
MV Freedom
Scott Magdelein - fun family but offline for a while now, too many babies me thinks
Wake Me Adventures
M/V Cassidy
MV Dirona
Living Seaworthy
Aqua-Cultured
Ask Captain Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom