Hello From Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte Fl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Izzy Colon

Vessel Name
Ships n' Giggles
Vessel Make
78 Mainship 34 Mk1
Recently took on a 34 mainship mk1 as a project and will be on here learning and sharing. First time with a trawler I also own a superboat I restored so best of both worlds.

Izzy

Welcome aboard! I’ll be in Englewood in about a month.

Welcome! Please post before pictures and then updates with pics to record significant progress as you go. Good luck with it.

Hello Izzy,
If you like projects, you've purchased the right vessel! They're great boats but not without issues like all other boats their vintage.
What's a superboat?

Welcome aboard TF

Welcome aboard. Good luck with the project.

I have my mainship 1 dock at port charlotte nice area

Welcome to TF and SW Florida

Wow I don’t even know how to post pics this is so sad

Ok wrote this long winded post about my project. But don't know what became of it. So.
1. I have no power. Cost of rebuilt Perkins diesel 165hp 256 ft lbs of torque was going for 14k with 1.9:1 gear.
2. I already owned a low hours 6.5 optimizer that needed a marine adaptation which is already well underway.
3. HP is 6.5 Optimizer is 190hp 385 ft lbs of torque , I am going with a borg warner 1:1. while built on the Detroit 6.5 platform the optimizer was recast by AM general to eliminate the overheating and head and cylinder cracking. I chose to go naturally aspirated to eliminate complications.

Where are my potential issues at?
1. Physically this will fit.
2. At765lbs it's weight to HP is great and lighter than original.
3. I already owned it. and the motors have been used in trawlers before. 28 AlbinTE.

What questions do you have. What suggestions do you have? Has anyone ever done this? Go from a straight 6 diesel to a V8 diesel. The famous words what could possibly go wrong. Izzy

I helped a friend move a 34 MkI up the ICW and Hudson. It had an 8.2 Detroit that fit perfectly in the engine compartment and ran very well. I don't see why the 6.2 wouldn't do as well. V8s are shorter and lower than the normal straight 6 Perkins, but they are wider and the engine compartment swallowed it fine.

David

The 1:1 gear ratio doesn't sound like a good idea for that SD hull. The V8 engine is going to take up precious space in the engine room too.
Hit the "advanced" button & from there can post pictures after 5 or so posts.
Let's see pics! I for one am anxious to follow!

Boomerang, thanks for the feedback. I have to be honest, I am not knowledgeable ablout gear choices. I am not knowledgeable about gears with regards to SD hulls. As these are first for me. Can you expand on your concerns?

Still can’t do pics. I’m sure I will figure it out or get my 11 year old to teach me.

Ok wrote this long winded post about my project. But don't know what became of it. So.
1. I have no power. Cost of rebuilt Perkins diesel 165hp 256 ft lbs of torque was going for 14k with 1.9:1 gear.
2. I already owned a low hours 6.5 optimizer that needed a marine adaptation which is already well underway.
3. HP is 6.5 Optimizer is 190hp 385 ft lbs of torque , I am going with a borg warner 1:1. while built on the Detroit 6.5 platform the optimizer was recast by AM general to eliminate the overheating and head and cylinder cracking. I chose to go naturally aspirated to eliminate complications.

Where are my potential issues at?
1. Physically this will fit.
2. At765lbs it's weight to HP is great and lighter than original.
3. I already owned it. and the motors have been used in trawlers before. 28 AlbinTE.

What questions do you have. What suggestions do you have? Has anyone ever done this? Go from a straight 6 diesel to a V8 diesel. The famous words what could possibly go wrong. Izzy

Going from an inline 6 to V8 will need exhaust system modification at the least.
You will need water cooled exhaust manifolds for your V8 which I suspect will be very rare birds.
Rated RPM for the Perkins is 2800 rpm. I would expect that the 6.5 is higher and will need either different trans or different prop.
Is your goal to have a boat to go cruising or just move about the marina?
If cruising, you are going to have to do an all out, top notch conversion.
That means rare motor mounts, bell housing, sea water pump, oil cooler, transmission cooler, heat exchanger, exhaust risers, mufflers, gaskets, and on and on.

Don't take offense, but the least costly move (and fastest) would be to either fix your Perkins, or replace it with a running take-out of the same HP. They are easy to find on the internet for <$10K. A good place to start is Trans Atlantic Diesel.
Sell to 6.5 to help pay the bills.

The 6.5 is already used in a variety of marine applications. The 28 Albin has same engine with GM block. Exhaust manifolds are available and are inexpensive. Everything from a bbc fits on here and the motor is se my up for remote oil coolers and trans cooling is easy enough. Power bands are very similar because of the higher HP. The intention is to cruise. The gear ratio has me un easy because that I don’t understand.

Izzy:

Here is what little I know about gear ratios and some rules of thumb I have read about:

You pick the gear ratio that lets your prop shaft spin at about 1,000 rpm at a fast cruising speed. I believe your engine is rated at about 200 hp at 3,200 rpm. So at say a fast cruising rpm of 2,800 you need a gear ratio of 2.8:1 to get 1,000 rpm at that rpm.

Then you work propeller diameter against prop pitch to achieve a prop diameter to pitch ratio of about 1:1, ie "square". That is generally the most efficient prop to use.

Transmissions only come in certain ratios so pick the ratio closest to 2.8:1 and then select a prop diameter and pitch to give you as close as you can to a square prop.

Join boatdiesel and use their prop calculator to play with ratios and prop dimensions and to see what kind of performance you will achieve.

But the best approach is to find a good prop shop to work with to pick the right prop and transmission ratio to get this all to work right for your boat.

David

Last edited:
That makes sense. The max torque is at 1700-1800 rpm 385ft lbs. wouldn’t that be where I want the motor running at max efficiency? Which would make my gear 1.7:1? So again I am by far not an expert but inquisitive. What is of most value torque or HP?

Izzy:

These are general rules of thumb and you probably need to read Dave Gerr's Propeller Handbook for more explanation.

Maximum torque is only relevant when your throttle is to the wall and you are accelerating. Otherwise you pull the throttle back when you reach the speed you want to travel and you are then pulling much less hp and torque from the engine.

But I can say this, if you used a 1.7:1 transmission ratio (and I am not sure that they are available that small) then you would have to have a very small diameter prop to load the engine up at wot when the prop is turning at 1,880 rpm and that would be very inefficient.

David

Last edited:
Im so unsure of my choice in gear. So here goes another question related to the gear and engine set up. What should I expect on the cruise side of the equation. My goal is to travel to Bimini and Cuba. I really want to put it on auto pilot at 10 to 12 knots or 7 or 8 knots and burn 1.5 GPH. If I really like the boat I’m going to put the 6.7 Cummins as that is the engine set up of choice.

Izzy you might want to start a thread in the Power Systems forum section discussing your project. You will get more responses than in the Welcome Mat.

Teach me Jedi Night! Hahahah this is my first forum. I read what I can see on the internet but I’ve never joined. But everyone is friendly and I am enjoying it.

I have the same boat,220hp ZF 63 trans 1.75 to 1 with 20 X 20 prop just right

sign up with boat diesel.com. Entry level membership is $25.00. Enter your boat and engine information in one of their calculators and it will calculate transmission ratios and propeller sizes for you. Also a lot of knowledgable guys on that site too.

You had me at Mainship, locked me in at project. Then you step it up and move from I-6 oiler to a V-8, I believe 2 stroke, diesel.

Yo kay, welcome.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom