Shower upgrade in a 34?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunset

Vessel Name
Manatee
Vessel Make
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
I am determined to move up from my Albin 25 to a liveaboard lifestyle on a full-on trawler, and I believe that a mid to late 70s Taiwan trawler size 34 is in my budget. I am currently looking at a Marine Trader 34 double cabin - the aft cabin has been modified to an island double. :flowers:

So . . . as a retired (as I hope to be) couple, we would likk the kind of full-on shower stall that you only find on a 36 plus. Not something that sprays all over the toilet and sink like a 12-foot teardrop trailer. Maybe convert the fwd head to a tub/shower? Forego the fwd toilet and holding tank?

I have never spent more than a few minutes aboard anything larger than my Albin 25, so I wonder if anyone else has addressed this possibility. Is this crazy thinking? Drawbacks are sort of obvious if you have guests, but how often do you have guests in the real world? Compared to day-to-day life with no suitable shower setup?

You could always setup an outside shower. :rolleyes:
On a more serious note, if 90% of the time it's just for the two of you, do what works for you. That said, I would live aboard for a while before making any changes. Just as with your 25' boat, you may find 34' for a full time liveaboard is too small. If you're on a limited budget, determining the size works before investing in upgrades, would be a good way to go.

Ted

You could always setup an outside shower. :rolleyes:
On a more serious note, if 90% of the time it's just for the two of you, do what works for you. That said, I would live aboard for a while before making any changes. Just as with your 25' boat, you may find 34' for a full time liveaboard is too small. If you're on a limited budget, determining the size works before investing in upgrades, would be a good way to go.

Ted

Hunt for a 34ft American Tug. It is a single stateroom, with a separate shower stall in the single head. Interestingly, the head has 2 doors which allows guest to enter the head without disturbing those in the stateroom.
I had a washer/dryer install in the large cabinet in the saloon.
The down side of any boat less than 40+ft boat is lack of closet/storage space.
Based upon my own experience, that conversion of the settee to a 2 person berth aint comfortable on my old back. Perhaps a pad would help.
I added 5 additional small cabinets that have blended in with the rest of the cabinetry.
I haven't accepted, with a 34ft boat, I should not be far from a grocery store. LOL
All in all, the AT34 is a mighty fine boat for 2 people with the occasional room for 2 guest.

I am determined to move up from my Albin 25 to a liveaboard lifestyle on a full-on trawler, and I believe that a mid to late 70s Taiwan trawler size 34 is in my budget. I am currently looking at a Marine Trader 34 double cabin - the aft cabin has been modified to an island double. :flowers:

So . . . as a retired (as I hope to be) couple, we would likk the kind of full-on shower stall that you only find on a 36 plus. Not something that sprays all over the toilet and sink like a 12-foot teardrop trailer. Maybe convert the fwd head to a tub/shower? Forego the fwd toilet and holding tank?

I have never spent more than a few minutes aboard anything larger than my Albin 25, so I wonder if anyone else has addressed this possibility. Is this crazy thinking? Drawbacks are sort of obvious if you have guests, but how often do you have guests in the real world? Compared to day-to-day life with no suitable shower setup?
Hello from George, My boat-a 1982 MT 34 DC has a full shower -no toilet or vanity, in the forward cabin. I believe it came that way originally. However you could convert to one. Its very nice too.

Back
Top Bottom