Mainship 400 Cable TV Connection question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garmstro55

Vessel Name
Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Make
Mainship 400
I recently acquired a 2004 Mainship 400 Trawler. It has the customary coaxial cable connection near the shore power inlet. The PO preferred using an antenna so he put an antenna in the storage compartment under the starboard seat on the upper deck and ran a coax cable down to behind the tv, screwed it into a splitter and then connected another short cable to the salon tv. The tv in the master is connected to the other half of the splitter. I am not getting any signal to the tv's using this arrangement.

I want to go back to using the marina cable tv system. I am trying to figure out how the cables are run inside the boat. Am I correct to assume there must be a cable somewhere behind the tv or the refrigerator that runs to the coax inlet at the stern? I am trying to avoid removing the fridge if I can. Any other thoughts?

. I am not getting any signal to the tv's using this arrangement.

?

Is it a Shakespeare "UFO" style? Most of those are amplified and the AMP is 12v powered. No power, likely no signal. Sleuth that down to determine.

Often there us a switch somewhere that allows you to select 'shore' vs 'antenna' for the incoming signal. My 34T has one near the 12V breaker panel.

I will look for an antenna/shore switch but I think he devised this system by himself. He did mention that there is an amplifier somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

I guess I just want to confirm that if I look hard enough I should find a coaxial cable behind the tv opening that was wired at the factory to the connection at the stern by the shore power inlet.

Gary, FWIW, our amplified antenna/cable system work with the VHF/UHF antenna when the amplifier is ON and lets cable TV signal pass through when the amplifier is OFF. If you can find an amplifier in your system, it might be as simple as that...

-Chris

Last edited:
Gary,
Behind the refrigerator is the cable TV cable. The refrigerator is easy to remove. It just has screws on the side and it slides out.

Gary, FWIW, our amplified antenna/cable system work with the VHF/UHF antenna when the amplifier is ON and lets cable TV signal pass through when the amplifier is OFF. If you can find an amplifier in your system, it might be as simple as that...

-Chris

Thanks Cap'n Chris...I will check this out. (I traded my Silverton for the Trawler...looks like everyone had fun at the rendezvous this year)

Seems like a good choice. The 400 was third on our short list; the 430 was my first, what we got was her first. :)

We'll come up your way and visit again sometime :)

-Chris

My 2003 390 has the same connection by the shore power hook ups. There is a connection for the tv end in the cabinets that were originally used for the tv.
John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom