stabilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
I just purchaseda a 44' chung wha* I was thinking stabilzers may be worth looking into** can someone give me a brief 411* on* them* cost and downsides?

Downsides - none that I can think of, costs - minimum $25 -30K. Do you have the ER space?

sunchaser I do have the er space but have to much space in my bank account for 20-30g wow

Flopper Stoppers?

A couple of fish and 2 poles require no big holes in the bottom of the boat , no electronics , no hydraulics .

With a different cable end device , you can tame a rolly anchorage too.

Some work IS required to deploy them , not just fire a brain box.

Take a look at my avitar I have what are known as Paravane stabelizers.'

All it is is hardware.

You could have them custom made for a few hundred bucks and they really work.

Ask thousands of commercial fishermen.

SD

We also have paravanes (sissy bars).* They work at any speed, even at anchor and you can do any repairs yourself.** The loads*are extremely high so the*design is critical.** We wouldn't cruise where we do*without them.

I have seen them , and they sweem interesting The pictures I see range from the tall outriggers as seen on commerical fish boats to short poles mounted low on the deck are they equaly as effictive?

It's all about leverage. The farther out the paravanes aka birds are from the boat the greater their stabilizing effect will be. However the farther out they are the stronger their supporting structure needs to be and the stronger this structure's attachment to the boat needs to be.

Probably the most effective passive stabilizers are the ones used by salmon trollers and set from their deployed outriggers. But these are supported by a heavy central mast and a maze of rigging. Not too practical on a recreational cruiser unless it was built with this sort of thing in mind.* But it's a good illustration of the principle.

Attachments

• troller.jpg
    troller.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 990
  • troller 2.jpg
    troller 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 731
Since you're new to the boat, why not wait a while and see if you feel it needs improving. Either passive or active stabilizers are going to be a big expensive project.

Tim you maybe correct but WOW.. $170K+ if value is rated in $$.. hmmm - not worth it I guess unless value is based on what one is willing to invest in for comfort i.e. not letting a favorite wine spill while having dinner at anchor with some sea on. Also, if it keeps the admiral from getting a little sick while touring around the coastline then a few $$ spent could be of some value.*

My biggest concern would be vibration / stress on my yacht on start-up or shutdown. Like it states in the info the*structural foundation should be approved by a Marine Engineer to ensure that it will safely transfer the torque to the vessels hull.

Elwin*

Ocean Breeze NL wrote:
This unit will just sit inside.. no poles /mast or fins.. not sure of the price but would expect it to be a few $$. I may look at something like this in a year or so. Anyone here know about this product?

http://www.antirollinggyro.com/CMS/00002.html

Elwin
*This is probably the same product I read about a year or two ago. Went for around $75,000. Not worth it to me, no matter how well it might work, but...

A couple of OTS pillow block bearings , a liberated man hole cover , and a 3600 rpm table saw motor with a couple of belts?

Unless you're doing open ocean cruising, I'm not sure the expense and effort justifies the benefit,* IMHO.* If you want a more comfortable ride at anchor, *check our Forespar's Roll-X.* We had a similar set up that we made our selves on our last boat and the*motion at anchor was*greatly reduced.* You can also just buy the stabilizer with out all the hardware from Magma.

http://www.forespar.com/products/roll-stabilizer-flopper-stopper.shtml

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Stabilizer/stabilizer.html

Delfin wrote:Keith wrote:Marsh Rat wrote:
I have a friend that runs the demo boat for this outfit. http://www.seakeeper.com/index.php He swears it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
*So what was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread? :)

*Muffins.

*No.* It's bacon!

Sea Gyro sells the GT5K stabilizer unit that they say is for*boats up to 30 tons for $19,900 USD plus freight according to*their ad.* It'd be curious to know if anyone has ever see or used one.* If it works as advertised, the price doesn't seem that bad with no external parts plus it*working at anchor.**www.seagyro.com

Larry M wrote:
Sea Gyro sells the GT5K stabilizer unit that they say is for*boats up to 30 tons for $19,900 USD plus freight according to*their ad.* It'd be curious to know if anyone has ever see or used one.* If it works as advertised, the price doesn't seem that bad with no external parts plus it*working at anchor.**www.seagyro.com
*I agree Larry,

I have an inquiry in to them but I guess over the holidays they are closed. I hope to get a response next week or so.

Elwin*

Gyro stabilizers*are big heavy rotating units requiring a* substantial base to be constructed. As with all mechanical and electrical things, installed costs will be much higher than just buying the parts and pieces. Plan on running your genset when at anchor to keep them rotating.

I've seen at least 6 articles in the past year or two in the boating mags, very*easy to*install on a new build when space can be budgeted during the engineering phase.

As Tom notes, the big issues for gyros is the fact that they need about 3 kw to get started spinning. *The current draw is less once they are going, but most boats will have to think through the supply of electrical energy for them to work. *When designing Delfin's systems, I looked into what is now the most popular design, which at the time was a Mitsubishi product, as I recall. *I declined on the basis of the energy required, plus the fact that they were not going to be as efficient as active fins, which were a proven system. *Still, a self enclosed system without hull penetrations has its appeal, although I must say, I love my Trac system.

When working on a system for out "Box Boat" I figured an extra wide centerboard trunk , with a shaped board that could easily be pivoted would do the job.

A simple gyro with an air cylinder would be quick enough and a snap to maintain.

Grounding , the board would simply do what center boards are built to do , pivot back into the case.

Might be an idea for someone with a new build?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom