nav program for 32 gb iPad Pro?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodscrew

Vessel Name
Northern Star
Vessel Make
Bristol 42 1970
I am looking for recommendations for a nav program that would be a good fit for our iPad Pro. I am looking at Navionics, iNavX and Polar Star. Anybody using a program they like? This is in addition to the Garmin 741xs's on board. I like the idea of having different chart info as well having a backup plotter. Paper charts on board as well. We'll be coastal and ICW this winter.

SeaIQ works well for me and I understand Polar Star works well.

David

I’ve used Navionics on my iPad for years and love it. The charts are updated continually and the sonar chart option is very accurate. Bought a new Simrad chart plotter this year running Navionics and it’s great having them run together and talking to each other.

I have Nobeltec TZ on our two iPads, really like it but then again I use Nobeltec on my two navigation PC's.

I’ve used iNavX in some fairly interesting areas and weather in Maine and never felt slighted by it. I personally like the raster charts I was using better than the vector versions on the Northstar plotter next to the iPad. But I think raster vs vector is a Ford / Chevy type debate; use what you like.

I think you’ll see from these comments there are plenty of good options; they all do things well, and it will come down to which one you like for some personal reason.

Big Plus for Navionics, the auto route is my favorite.

Right now we have Navionics & SeaIQ loaded on our Ipad. The SeaIQ is the program most used because of it's ability to overlay AIS targets from our Vesper AIS. The constant chart updates are nice too but the AIS target feature is the main reason we use it.

Another vote for Navionics. We found it to be very accurate (at least around Florida and the Keys) and the auto route feature is very useful. Plus, you can create your route on a desktop or laptop computer and it will automatically appear on the iPad when it connects to wifi.

Since Garmin is out of the picture we switched to Aquamaps that also supports Active Captain

Navionics. Agree with the auto route. Use a Bad Elf for GPS as it is not restricted to cell service.

Navionics. Agree with the auto route. Use a Bad Elf for GPS as it is not restricted to cell service.

Don't know what an iPad Pro is, but if it has an internal GPS receiver, no external solution should be necessary.

I understand the iThings that have a cellular capability are the ones with internal GPS... but that there's no need to activate or use the cellular capability for the GPS to work.

-Chris

Have used BlueChart for years - but not it is end of life. Still have it, open it up simple because I have so many notes there.

Using AquaMap's with integrated AC information.

Navionics.

We have been happy with Aquamap. Easy to use, inexpensive and has Active Captain overlay. Our iPad does not have a GPS, so we use a Dual XGPS160 which provides position via Bluetooth for up to 5 devices.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom