View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Several factors can be causing your problem. First a traditional stuffing box may have cut down the wobble so that you didn't notice it. The wobble that appears above a certain RPM may be caused by several different things.

First, you realized engine alignment was a partial cause.

The propeller can also cause wobble if one or more blades is slightly out of pitch. Growth (barnacles) on the blades can cause an imbalance.

You could have a worn cutlass bearing that doesn't cause the shaft to jump until you reach the magic RPM.

You could have a slightly bent shaft.

The objective is to figure out what is causing the problem through analysis, not monetary injections. When next you haul out, I would pull the prop and have it scanned. This will tell you if it's true or needs to be reconditioned. Most prop shops will do this for a small fee or less. With the prop off, I would check the cutlass bearing for play by trying to move the shaft up and down, and side to side. If there is play and you don't know if it's too much, seek a professional's opinion. I would also then consider pulling the shaft and coupling, and take them to the prop shop for analysis. Is the shaft bent? With the coupling locked on the shaft, does the coupling face spin true to the shaft? Hopefully, without having spent much money, you can determine if any of these things are causing or contributing to the problem. While you're at it, check your motor and transmission mounts. A broken or worn out mount can be the problem.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote