View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
thesnide1

City: Wilmington
two prop-shaft bearings or one

While on the hard for bottom paint this spring, I installed a dripless shaft seal. It appeared to work great at 1500 rpm but at 1800 rpm the shaft wobble caused it to fling water.

Before hauling for repairs, I set out to either eliminate it or shift the 0.004" coupling misalignment that was the best I could achieve years ago. After improving the alignment I can now run 1800 RPM without flinging water.

Does anyone know a 1979 Marine Trader 34 should have a bearing in the stuffing box (at both ends) or a single cutlass bearing at the prop shaft end?

A friend with a similar vintage MT says that he has a bearing in the stuffing box. A friend with a newer Grand Banks says that it does not have the stuffing box bearing.

Based on the shaft free play in the stuffing box, if there was a bearing, it is long gone. Over the past 9 years, I have experienced a series of related problems so I don't know what to expect and I don't think it was ever right. The stuffing box water flow has always increased from a few drops at idle/in gear to an excessive amount of flow on long trips. I always need to tighten it after a trip.

Thank you.
thesnide1 is offline   Reply With Quote