How many times have you grounded in one day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never been in command of a large boat, 30+ feet. I have been grounded twice. Once was just stupid and once was painful.

The stupid one was my inattention to lake details the second one was sort of the same reason. You know, water has a habit of draining out of those things.

There was a narrow section in the lake which happened to also be shallow. What grows in shallow water, vegetation. I knew it was there. Crossed over it dozens of times. The water level in the lake had dropped about 6 to 8 inches overnight. As soon as I started over the area, running along about 12mph, the OB bogged and died. I fouled the prop with lake veggies. I'm in roughly 5 feet of water and I am 5'8". I whiz the mushroom back toward deeper water and pulled the rode. For an hour and a half I did this. The lake closes promptly at 8 pm. Then the gate is shut and locked. Any cars in the lot are towed. My luck happened at about 6pm.

So now I find myself in deeper water, prop fouled tight, and I can't make headway on clearing it. I hand paddle toward shore, hop out into waist-deep water, and walk the boat around the roughest part of the shoreline. Why you may ask, because the smoother cleaner side is many miles around to the ramp instead of maybe a mile. The water was from ankle deep to chest deep. I get to the ramp, it's after 8pm. The lake launch ramp attendant was standing there with another guy. I tie off the boat to the dock to load. No surprise I'm the last one there. I head up the ramp and these two are staring at me and grinning. I'm pretty wizzed at myself as well as proud I could get myself out of a bad situation.

On my way up the ramp, the attendant yells over to me," We didn't think you'd make it back tonight. I was going to leave the gate open for you."

My smarty elec retort," How did you know I was even trying to get back?"

The other guy," I watched the whole show from the other side of the lake."

I was a young hothead, so I didn't ask. Instead, I said," Ya could lent a hand ya know."

I loaded up and went home a sad soggy mess. I'm glad I was in the ole working truck.

The painful situation was a few years earlier where I pretty much did the same as the other situation. We were running along some shallows in a trihull all weekend being wreckless teens. We came tight around a point at about 30mph. The water level was down about a foot. Done it many times but the water level reared it's head. The trihull saved us. We ran hard aground in mud at a left leaning angle facing up the bank because the rear swung around. Everyone was thrown forward. Luckily, those in the bow were sitting down. A few minor bruises later, we were out of the boat and pushed it off. The shape of the point kept the I/O in deep enough water to prevent damage. The right side was buried in mud about a half foot deep. The left I believe kept us from doing a barrel roll and ending upside down as it was against the bottom until we all unloaded. That was enough to float the stern higher and help break out the bow. The boat suffered some paint scuffs but overall everything was ok. Needless to say, it was a couple years before I skippered another boat other than my J-boats.

On boats that didn't have plotters and sounders, yes.
Since then , no.
sounds like a dangerous statement to make. Better knock on wood. Karma loves to hear statements like that.......LOL

sounds like a dangerous statement to make. Better knock on wood. Karma loves to hear statements like that.......LOL

Of their own volition... Stated words Can create energies that may lead toward resulting circumstances. :ermm:

No shortage of wood to knock on but I work on no help being available (no seatow here) we have a safe depth set on the plotter, anything under 6ft at low tide is blanked out as non navigable.

Any area I am not sure on I don't go into blindly
Saying that I'd do go into shallow areas, but only if I know the area and at dead slow speed.
Any area I don't actually know I will take the dinghy which has a plotter and sounder in first and scout a safe route and anchorage.
That and being as high as we are, sun overhead, rising tide and favourable conditions says we are very likely to be fine.

If these conditions aren't met I simply won't take the risk.
If only I was this cautious back in my sailing days I wouldn't have ran up on a reef at speed and, having seen a few vessels that have ran aground, then dried out on the edge of a bank, rolled and sank has me being overly cautious these days.

Like I said, no seatow here.

Last edited:
Of their own volition... Stated words Can create energies that may lead toward resulting circumstances. :ermm:

Just like crystals......LOL

Back when we were invincible, I did hit a couple of rocks. First one was with my Star. Stopping suddenly was exciting, but we instantly heeled and were released by the rock, with no damage. The next was with a 37' sail, had to repair the shark bite on the leading edge of the keel. Since then I don't believe we are invincible, so far, so good.

What, no sense of adventure?
This subject has strong proponents on both sides. Personally, I'd likely NEVER own a boat without a FB. Boating is about being out in nature, enjoying your environment etc. Stuck below at a lower steering station does not do that for me. A FB with a simple Bimini for the sun (NO oxygen tents please) and I'm a happy guy. 95% operation from the bridge, 5% from below... Your mileage may vary..

After 15 years of open-cockpit sailing and 50 years of high-altitude backpacking, I now prefer sheltering in an enclosed pilothouse. I do occasionally sneak out.

Last edited:
What, no sense of adventure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron
This subject has strong proponents on both sides. Personally, I'd likely NEVER own a boat without a FB. Boating is about being out in nature, enjoying your environment etc. Stuck below at a lower steering station does not do that for me. A FB with a simple Bimini for the sun (NO oxygen tents please) and I'm a happy guy. 95% operation from the bridge, 5% from below... Your mileage may vary..

After 15 years of open-cockpit sailing and 50 years of high-altitude backpacking, I now prefer sheltering in an enclosed pilothouse. I do occasionally sneak out.

Wow! For sure... there is one yin and yang of pleasure boating!

LOL.....Totally operator error in a high tidal change area and a depth sounder offset that was incorrect. No harm no foul, and got off when the water returned. Somewhat embarrassing sitting in the restaurant in Beaufort Harbor and watching this happen!

2v2UgCU7Mx3cYB.jpg

"The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft aglee"....Translation, you cannot plan for everything.

Two of my groundings occurred IN THE ICW. In the center of the ICW. On mud banks that were not there.....but were there. No tides involved. In the southern ICW the tides are less than 2 feet. No amount of instrumentation would have prevented them. The water was, as always, muddy. But even if clear, the shoaling occurred in just feet so you could not have seen it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom