New LED light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I've been trying to find the right combination of battery operated, night, motion sensing LED lights for a few years now.
I've wanted lights that:
1. are easy to attach
2. easy to replace batteries
3. Will stay where I attach it
4. motion sensing, but only in the dark

I like using these lights for places in which I don't want to have to turn on other lights to see what I'm doing, for example, when I open the electrical panel in the salon or for the passageway between the cabin and head.
The passageway light is particulariy handy since it's nice for guests.

I've gone thru many lights int he last few years and just recently I think I found a real keeper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMVK7GR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This works well for my intended uses and is only $7.99 on Amazon.

I installed a set of these in our master bedroom closets at home. They're a warm white color (~2700K) that's easy on the eyes. Ours also serve as a night light if the closet door is left ajar and we get up in the dark. They're very reliable and only about 8 inches long so they don't require a large mounting surface.

Thanks for the link at Amazon. I paid about $11 each almost a year ago through some Chinese tech website.

I give these :thumb: :thumb:

Before and after pictures

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20180921_095423.png
    ForumRunner_20180921_095423.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20180921_095432.jpg
    ForumRunner_20180921_095432.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 79
So do you think that things swinging due to boat motion in a dark locker will give a false turn on ? Not being critical just wondering.

So do you think that things swinging due to boat motion in a dark locker will give a false turn on ? Not being critical just wondering.

It is unlikely that hanging things would trigger the light while under way since the "things" would be at ambient temperature and the motion sensor is a Passive Infra-Red sensor meaning it detects heat change. The weakness of PIR's is that they are less effective when the ambient temp reaches our skin temperature. They are cheap to make and common to use. As long as your A/C is on so your body temp is higher than ambient, it would work as described.

If you move things that are the same temperature as the current view of the PIR, it won't trigger the light. The easy way to fake a PIR is rig a bed sheet between you and the PIR stretched on a frame so it is quickly the ambient temp, and slowly move you and it along your desired path. fakes out the PIR every time.

I've had some of the Mr. Beams MB530 lights on indoor stairs and they've worked quite nicely. Using C cell batteries gives them a very long life. Coming up on 3 years this November. They're stuck on one side using 3M picture hanging strips (sorta like velcro).

Keep us updated on how they work out, Richard.

With a motion detector, I found that the lights were coming on due to movement while underway. Batteries were often dead or connections corroded.

I've given up on finding a suitable battery powered LED and have now hard-wired LED lights into most of my lockers and storage areas.

On my boat I put a number of these under the lip of the cabinets (toe space). I had to put a decent size resistor in line to get the brightness down for use as night lights. But these are inexpensive and easy to install. They are wired, but you could make up a battery power supply pretty easy.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-wired-bolts/little-dot-smd-led-accent-light/639/

They also sell these as license plate lights, but they make good panel lights. You should put a resistor in-line or a dimmer to cut the brightness though.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-wired-bolts/miniature-led-license-plate-bolt/1685/

You can get a light sensor to turn them on at dark.

https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Pho...36&sr=8-9&keywords=day+night+light+sensor+12v

For cabinet and compartment interior lighting I use LED sign modules. Generally they are sealed and you can find them in a variety of colors and configurations for around a $1 ea on eBay. They can be obtained as self stick, but I glue them one with 3M 4000 or 4200 (usually). They works great.

Last edited:
...With a motion detector, I found that the lights were coming on due to movement while underway. Batteries were often dead or connections corroded.
I've given up on finding a suitable battery powered LED....
I found a 2 pack of LED sensor battery lights at Bunnings but my search of their cattledog does not find them to post. One is in the head onboard, the other in the space under the stairs that passes for a wine cellar. Cost< $20.
Maybe take a wander thru Bunnings.

Back
Top Bottom