Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Once you have a GOOD pair of fixed focus marine binocs.......every other pair seems like you should leave them at home. Most every water professional I know agrees and thats what you find on the dash of most military/commercial boats .....that I have been on.

Obviously image stabilized binocs have their strong points....but I havent used a pair yet that I would leave my Funjinons at home....but I definitely would add a pair with at least 10 power for those stubborn bridges or the ones with tiny numbets on their tide boards...

I mentioned Fuji's new compact 12x stabilized binoc in another thread. Wifey told me again the other day that she likes 'em... even though I see her having to fiddle with the stupid focus ring all the time. Anyway, we got 'em for exactly the same need: reading tiny stuff at distance while bouncing.

Luckily she's agreed to be the one fiddling with the stupid focus ring...

I have to admit to usually carrying a smaller 7x35 (I think) center focus binoc (B&L, I think) when hunting. The Steiner 7x50s are much better but their extra weight gets me down after a while, unlike on the boat where the things aren't hanging on my neck all the time. Can't focus on things quickly, so the 7x35s are only a half-a$$ solution. OTOH, maybe I can use wifey's smaller 7x30 fixed focus Steiners this year; she might not notice.

-Chris