Thruster choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeff brown

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Fuhgedaboutit
Vessel Make
1966 38 CC COMMANDER, 1976 42 California LCR , 1991 42 Holiday Mansion
I have a 1978 34 marine trader DC single lehman , No thruster.
What is recommended , bow , stern brand etc. ?

Thanks , JB

I put a Side Power stern thruster in my boat about 2years ago. Love it.

Welcome to the forum! How long have you had the boat and how comfortable are you at handling it without a thruster. IMO, adding a bow thruster will give you the most bang for the buck. A stern thruster can make life easier, but with experience you can accomplish a lot with the rudder hard over and a little prop wash.

I like Side-Power thrusters. They have a chart on their website to help you pick the right size. Within the same tunnel size, a more powerful one than the recommended is almost always a good idea.

Lots of useful information in the archives on thrusters. Just search "bow thrusters ".

Ted

I had great experience with Florida bow thruster. Their instillation was first class. They go everywhere.

+1 on adding a bow thruster. Look at the charts to see what size (ft pounds of thrust) are recommended for your boat then buy a size or two above that. If that moves you into a larger tube, all the better.

I never, ever heard a skipper say "Gee, I wish my bow thruster didn't have so much thrust."

bow thrusters

I think I found archives but can't figure out how to do a search. I clicked on archive at the bottom of the page and it brings up lots of items but no search window?

Wrong place.
Start at the top of the page.
Look for maroon line with User CP on the left
Scan over to the right and you will see Search. That is a pull down menu.
Pull down and select Advanced Search
When that comes up, type in Thruster under Keywords

Beneath Keywords you can choose Search entire thread or Search Titles Only.

Choose Search Titles Only, then scroll down a bit and hit Search Now button.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom