Try this with a deep v

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deblen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Puffin II
Vessel Make
Mascot 28 PH Motorsailer
I thought this was an interesting video.
I have no connection to this mfgr.
Len

Didn't see anything a very stable deep vee couldn't handle in the right hands.

Lots of the right sizes boats in all hull designs could scare you in some of those waves.

I have been in worse water in the chesapeake bay. We crossed back from eastern shore with these steep 6 foot rollers and more.The period was half the boat length so about 15 to 20 foot between crests. Bad enough I sat down and let my son in law pilot us back. After we got half way across they subsided. We were pummeled for a good 40 minutes. Boat was like going into free fall every few seconds. You could not go into the lower front cabin.
He said it was a good test of the hull. We did not sink or break. Everything went flying inside and the oven door slammed open and bent down. (weak springs) I tied it shut. When I first saw them I was shocked and amazed at the waves.
If he had not wanted to get back to port, I would have waited maybe all day at the breakwater to see if they would settle down.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Aside from the "challenge" (Try this...) in the title, it's interesting to see how that boat "rides". As noted, this particular vessel is being marketed as a dive/CG training vessel BUT how will a substantial load effect ride and handling? It appears to be completely empty in the video.

Eg:

th

I've watched lobster style boats on occasion and have always admired their ability to handle what I consider "heavy weather". Better them out there than me but given the experience of the captains. It's probably old hat to them.

Last edited:
This is Trawler Forum.
Don’t recall any “deep vee” trawlers.

Moved from "How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns" to "General Discussion" sub-forums.

I'm envious of the speed on the following sea. Our boat could handle the headsea without breaking a sweat. I would have a hard time running downhill in those combers at 8 kts.

The old Bertrams were famous for their sea-keepin' abilities, and they all had deep vee hulls. Is a hull considered a deep vee if the deadrise is 16 degrees or more?

Greetings,

Aside from the "challenge" (Try this...) in the title, it's interesting to see how that boat "rides". As noted, this particular vessel is being marketed as a dive/CG training vessel BUT how will a substantial load effect ride and handling? It appears to be completely empty in the video.

Eg:

th

I've watched lobster style boats on occasion and have always admired their ability to handle what I consider "heavy weather". Better them out there than me but given the experience of the captains. It's probably old hat to them.

No offence meant by the title-just a comparison of hull styles.
Your photo above is of similar hulls-loaded with traps-from eastern N.B. & PEI:). This style hull is now being mfgrd in Eastport.Me. also.

Greetings,

Eg:

th

The Novi and Down East hulls are made to safely work the North Atlantic and carry lots of weight. Dixon, BHM, Duffy, are just a few that come to mind. Mostly semi displacement hulls, round chine, with a full keel. Well built and rock solid boats designed by Spencer Lincoln, Royal Lowell, Arno Day, among others. Every boat is a trade off. With these boats seaworthiness, safety, and reliability come 1st.

What makes you think a deep v boat couldn’t handle an inlet like that?

What makes you think a deep v boat couldn’t handle an inlet like that?

It probably could. But on a regular basis you would much rather be on the Down Easter or Novi. Much easier motion.
In New England we are surrounded by boats with deep V hulls. C Raymond Hunt (who designed the Bertram and Whaler Hull among many others) has many fine examples of Deep Vee boats. However they were designed for purposes other than carrying heavy loads through rough seas at relatively slow speeds in most cases. Not better or worse designs. Just designed for a different purpose.

The first video mentions 50 knot winds. It looks to me like about 25 knots.
The boat handles it well, but it’s not super challenging conditions.

If I recall some call that "Bertram Weather", likely because of some of their creative advertising campaigns like this 'Thank God it's a Bertram!' image.

thank-god-its-a-bertram---bertram-was-known-for-its-creative-advertising-campaigns.jpg

In reality, deep-V Bertrams can be a good choice when the seas kick up a bit.:thumb:

It probably could. But on a regular basis you would much rather be on the Down Easter or Novi. Much easier motion.
In New England we are surrounded by boats with deep V hulls. C Raymond Hunt (who designed the Bertram and Whaler Hull among many others) has many fine examples of Deep Vee boats. However they were designed for purposes other than carrying heavy loads through rough seas at relatively slow speeds in most cases. Not better or worse designs. Just designed for a different purpose.

Thanks. That was the point of my original post-different hull designs for different conditions & purposes with trade offs in speed/comfort/etc.

It is notable that Novi/PEI/Downeast styles have made great leaps in speed while still maintaining their superior sea keeping abilities.

I believe speed with reasonable sea keeping ability was the original purpose of the deep v design.

Another consideration is the keel protected rudder & prop with the semi displacement hull. Less concern about prop fouling & minor groundings.

Len

They back up rather nicely also (7min)

Last edited:

So, what made you say (or imply) that a deep vee couldn’t handle an inlet like that?

So, what made you say (or imply) that a deep vee couldn’t handle an inlet like that?

Of course a good deep v could handle it. But with as much "comfort" ??

The first & last videos were "demo vids" by the mfgr I believe.That could be why no names yet.

These are lobster boat hulls designed as work platforms for the Canadian winter fishery. The demo was done in the harbour entrance. Those boats fish up to 50nm. offshore in the winter N. Atlantic.
Conditions can get much worse.
Please note-he wasn't trying to just run in or out with the seas.

He was playing in circles,stopping & lying a-hull like a work boat has to & backing down into snotty conditions that most of us pleasure boaters would not enjoy.

My point is that semi displacement hulls have improved greatly from the plodding 8 knotters of yesteryear.

As for the "Starship" foredeck shape-meh-I'm not big on it.
In my (Fundy) tidal area,it would be hung up on the wharf often.
But,it does shed the spray,without having to add "downeast" spray rails ;)

Len

Greetings,
Mr. d. I agree with you on the foredeck shape/design. Water shedding capabilities seem similar to the Carolina style sport fishers. Something ethereal about the shape IMO.

th

Greetings,
Mr. d. I agree with you on the foredeck shape/design. Water shedding capabilities seem similar to the Carolina style sport fishers. Something ethereal about the shape IMO.

th

the eye of the beholder,eh? / Len

Ain’t got nuthin on a SWATH hull :D

That SWATH looks good.

Hate to be foredeck watch on that ?frigate.

Here is a local cat lobster boat that outruns it's inside bow waves.The waves meet,pile up in front of her & she runs right into them.
She is quite a sight coming at you from a distance at full bore,especially if it's snotty. She breaks a window or two each winter,but very stable platform to work on. The good,the bad & the ugly. :)

Greetings,
Mr. B2. Buddy Davis? Sorry, no idea. It's just a picture I found to illustrate my point about "aggressive" bow shapes. I'm NOT a terribly big fan of sport fish boats in general but they are built to a purpose. Likewise the lobster/down east style vessels under discussion which have been designed for a specific use AND geographical area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom