Life ring buoy must be orange for coastal trips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/117.70

Mine is white and 24 inches wide.
But if your going along the coast you have to have an orange ring buoy.

(5) If on a vessel on an oceans or coastwise route, be orange in color.
Actually I did not know you had to have a 'ring buoy'. I had though one of those floating cushions was ok.

So do you all have an orange one readily displayed and free to be thrown?
Reading through the list, I am not in compliance, I don't have a light on the buoy for example.
(d) At least one ring buoy must be fitted with a floating waterlight, unless the vessel is limited to daytime operation, in that case no floating waterlight is required.

And my floating line is not this strong.
(1) Be buoyant;

(2) Be at least 18.3 meters (60 feet) in length;

(3) Be non-kinking;

(4) Have a diameter of at least 7.9 millimeters (5/16-inch);

(5) Have a breaking strength of at least 5 kilonewtons (1,124 pounds); and

(6) Be of a dark color if synthetic, or of a type certified to be resistant to deterioration from ultraviolet light.

Has anyone gotten in trouble from USCG for failing to meet these regs?
Are you in compliance with all of these regulations?

Last edited:
sdowney717;699667 Has anyone gotten in trouble from USCG for failing to meet these regs? Are you in compliance with all of these regulations?[/QUOTE said:

This is part of 46 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter K which appears to apply to SMALL PASSENGER VESSELS CARRYING MORE THAN 150 PASSENGERS OR WITH OVERNIGHT ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MORE THAN 49 PASSENGERS.

Subchapter K..... Passenger vessel requirement.

All you need is a type 4 throwable, and if your life ring meets that, then your are OK.

Last edited:
This is part of 46 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter K which appears to apply to SMALL PASSENGER VESSELS CARRYING MORE THAN 150 PASSENGERS OR WITH OVERNIGHT ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MORE THAN 49 PASSENGERS.

↑ This

Ok, good then.

How about that throwing rope, and length and width of line, I need a new one I suppose.
Any reg I need to comply with for me on that line?
Lots of floating lines are only a few hundred pounds break strength.
And does it have to be buoyant? I have 100 foot of nylon 5/16 solid braided line in camouflage color I can use, also have some of the yellow floating line.

Last edited:
No line required, tho my insurance company asked about line and light at night on throwable.

Definitely don't use nylon if you do use a line as it sinks and pulls the throwable back to you.

There are several levels of safety equipment for various classes of vessels. What the OP posted is for Subchapter K vessels, as mentioned, there is a lower class for less than 49 passengers, and there is yet a lower class, the "6 pack" vessel. These are all Vessels taking passengers for hire. Typical requirements start at Type 1 life jackets with approved reflective tape, and go on to other items that change as you go up the scale.

These are the requirements for privately owned pleasure vessels up to 165'

:socool:

https://www.usps.org/national/vsc/conductvsc_files/USCGMinReq_2012.pdf

Well, I have 4 throwable type 4. Two are rings, other two are seat cushion style.
And 12 type 1.
So my type IV are just ok as is.
I do think orange color is better than white, easier to spot in water. I can buy fluorescent orange spray paint at HDepot for $4, I can imagine would be more visible than white.

Anyone prefer white over orange or the reverse?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...nge-Fluorescent-Spray-Paint-1954830/100127408
That 24" life ring is old and the white finish is worn, some paint would make it look better.

My other white ring is a 20", and the kids (4 and 5 yrs old) play with it in the water. I throw it to them so it is good to practice rescues, get familiar with these things.

In order for the throwable to be legal, it must be in good condition and the certification must be readable. So I would not paint one and cover the certification up with paint.

In order for the throwable to be legal, it must be in good condition and the certification must be readable. So I would not paint one and cover the certification up with paint.

I thought about that, but the throwable type 4 cushions should cover me, right?
So the ring is just extra equipment.

I don't have a throwing rope attached to mine. It seems to me that any line attached would just slow down the act of getting the buoy to a person in the water. It would also limit the throwing distance, especially if you are moving away from the person overboard.

I don't really care if i'm "covered" or not. Saving a life is more important.

If I can get a life buoy in the general vicinity of the MOB quickly, then I can circle around and pick them up.
This method has always worked better and faster whenever we've done MOB drills.

I don't have a throwing rope attached to mine. It seems to me that any line attached would just slow down the act of getting the buoy to a person in the water. It would also limit the throwing distance, especially if you are moving away from the person overboard.

I don't really care if i'm "covered" or not. Saving a life is more important.

If I can get a life buoy in the general vicinity of the MOB quickly, then I can circle around and pick them up.
This method has always worked better and faster whenever we've done MOB drills.
Practice throwing what ever you carry aboard.
W/o a rope you only get one chance and irs gone. W a rope you can retrieve and retry or just tow it behind and circle the MOB like a ski rope pick-up.
I favor the tow & circle as it us quick to get the rppe & float to the person and as soon as they can grab it you can cut engines and pull tjem in... reducing chance of injury from props.
If you carry more than one OK to toss one quickly while you circle w a second.

Having an attached line is good idea, for you get to pull them in and they may be weak in the water. The goal is to get them back in ASAP. there could be a chance they float away holding on to the life ring.
You don't lose a second chance to throw it to them again. The wind and waves will just blow it away otherwise. I suppose you could tie a line to a type I pdf and toss it to them. Anything that will float is worth trying.

Last edited:
Based on tossing even short docklines, most people would never have a successful toss if there is a line attached.

So having the right weight and style line, coiled properly and practiced frequently are all necessary for a good throw.

Otherwise......

The one we have been tossing to the kids, is a 20" ring buoy, and it has a 5/16 nylon line attached of about 30 feet . I found I can toss it pretty close to them about the whole distance. Lightweight line is a good idea, and I doubt I could toss it much further accurately, maybe with more practicing. . That USCG rule is to have 60 foot of line, I don't think they can expect anyone to toss a ring buoy that far with accuracy? Wife gets very concerned if the motor is running and anyone is in the water, but you may have to move the boat close to them.

Maybe you could tie fishing line to the ring...:)
Hey, how about casting a line with a fishing rod to with a flip flop tied on to someone in the water.
:eek:
I think people should practice tossing to see if they can improve their skills when needed, could be real helpful.

How about a remote controlled powered water drone float combo, take the line to the person in the water. Power could be supplied by a floating DC electric cable. Or use an air drone to drop on them a buoy.

Last edited:
We keep a "throw bag" handy and have used it more than I would have guessed.
50 ft floating line in a bag w foam flotation in the bag. With a little practice you can toss (under hand) the full length very accurately.
I like to keep a light wt alum clip on the Type 4 throwable to allow quick atrach to the throw bag line.
Throw bags are common kayak gear for river rescue. They come in various line wts depending on use.
I have engaged other boaters to try practice throws using bags or just rings during raft ups. Many were surprised how awkward it was at first but got better w practice.

We have 4 throwable flotation devices on board. One of which has a 75’ line attached to it. We can throw 3 of them to a MOB and then tow the 4th one in a circle like a ski tow pickup. They don’t cost that much to stop someone having multiples on board. But in the case of an actual MOB, I would have my crew throw anything that floats overboard. Even if the MOB can not get to whatever you throw overboard the floating things in the water can help lead you back to the MOB. It can be extremely difficult seeing the MOB if there is any wave action. Also set a MOB waypoint in the GPS.

Long floatable line is important, even though you can't 'out throw' its distance. Throw the ring as far as you can towards the person - if they're able they can move towards it, but more importantly you can maneuver the boat to encircle the MOB with the line - i.e. get the floating line to the person who can hold it near them as the motion of the boat pulls the ring to them.

I keep a 'combo' floating seat cushion and Type II Buoyant Life Jacket (with strobe) right at my feet that I can quickly toss out of the fly bridge as I mark the MOB on the chart plotter. If alone I throttle back and toss the ring (inshore) or life sling (offshore) with the rope attached to the hand rail on the side I'll be turning towards in my return to MOB maneuver then get back up to the helm and maneuver for recovery. If another crew member on board, they do the tossing and along with anyone else on board start doing the point the man drill.

Last edited:
There are many ways to rig and use type4 throwables. Just one, with or without a line doesn't cover every possibility ...

Think through the common situations for a MOB...and rig/practice accordingly.

we have a Lifesling that is mounted on the swimstep. It has a floating poly line. We also have a number of throwable cushions. I am not counting on the cushions being helpful at all.

Usually there are 2 kinds of MOB....

One is recognized right away.... where just chopping the throttles and backing up (not over the MOB) is often the quickest recovery method.

The second type of MOB is where someone heard something or someone isn't where they are supposed to be, and in both of those situations you are generally farther away than tossing distance.

Plan accordingly.

Usually there are 2 kinds of MOB....

One is recognized right away.... where just chopping the throttles and backing up (not over the MOB) is often the quickest recovery method.

The second type of MOB is where someone heard something or someone isn't where they are supposed to be, and in both of those situations you are generally farther away than tossing distance.

Plan accordingly.

Good reason to have a track line running on your plotter. If you loose someone you can run back up your track line.

Sometimes I amaze myself and thanks for my guardian angel. Never having a good sense of balance, I crewed on a 28-foot sailboat for seven years (summer and winter racing seasons) in windy San Francisco Bay responsible for launching and recovering sails and spinnakers on the foredeck, lacking railings or lifelines, all the while lacking a PDF. :eek:

Scary now, but not then. I was an indestructible teenager.

Last edited:
I cut off the old cover from the 24" life ring. It was a Jim Buoy G series white model.
It was in rough shape, they use 'beckets' straps sewed on to floating polypropylene rope that rots in the sun. So really it was not serviceable as it was.

I drilled 1/2 " holes around to thread a new rope. And made recesses for the rope to fit into. This way the rope is replaceable.

I sanded the dense polystyrene core, then coated with black polyurethane Loctite roof and flashing. Simply it seals the surface with a rubber layer. This way it has a slight cushion feel to the surface when you squeeze it. And makes it fuel proof.

Coated that with Zinsser 123 primer and sanded it smooth as I could using 80 grit paper. Then I sprayed it with grey primer.

For the orange top coat, used Pumpkin color Krylon spray paint, 15 oz can. I have half the can left.

Will let it dry a few days before putting in the rope. I only had to $4 worth of orange paint at Walmart for this project. The other materials were leftovers. To me doing these things is interesting, most people will just buy a new buoy. Could have left off doing that black rubber coating. But I think it makes it better.

If I ever buy a new one, it will be hard plastic with replaceable rope. The way they make many of these, they are counting on what you buy to disintegrate so they can sell you another one.

Attachments

• 20180921_170516.jpg
    20180921_170516.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180923_144703.jpg
    20180923_144703.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20180923_144711.jpg
    20180923_144711.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Unfortunately, not legal without label.

Yeah I know, but it matters not. I have two legal floating cushions. So boat gets a pass. It is actually better quality now after I finish with it than when new. It is still a functioning life ring.

I also have an old 20" life ring given to me. I may paint it orange also. That one also is so worn out has no label. The kids love to play with it in the water.

This is like flares, you have old sets past their legal date, but you also have a new legal set and your good to go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom