House Boat Rental?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otis maximus

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Otis Maximus
Vessel Make
Seasport Navigator
Not sure if I'll find an answer here or not but I have to start somewhere. I've been nominated to put together a family vacation for sometime next year, and it's been suggested that it should involve a house boat and a body of water. So, what I've been told I'm looking for is a large house boat to rent for at least a week that can hold up to 25 people (maybe more at times) situated on a large body of water, river, lake or reservoir. I live in the PNW and the in-laws are in Indiana and Minnesota so we are all willing to travel. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Eric

Not sure if I'll find an answer here or not but I have to start somewhere. I've been nominated to put together a family vacation for sometime next year, and it's been suggested that it should involve a house boat and a body of water. So, what I've been told I'm looking for is a large house boat to rent for at least a week that can hold up to 25 people (maybe more at times) situated on a large body of water, river, lake or reservoir. I live in the PNW and the in-laws are in Indiana and Minnesota so we are all willing to travel. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Eric

Lake Powell!! There are several firms at various locations. The ones at Bullfrog and Hall's Crossing are best situated. Page Az is also very active, but that end of the lake is less majestic.

It's been 30 years since I've done this, but I did it several times, and always had a good time.

Not sure you'll find a houseboat where 25+ people onboard would be enjoyable or safe. Three houseboats would be bettah.

Absolutely Lake Powell. There are some huge houseboats there. The lake is awesome.

You will definitely want multiple boats. In my experience, 6 or 8 folks per boat works. Might want to tow a ski boat also. Do you have any actual mariners in this group? Not necessary, but it will improve the collective experience if a couple people know what they are doing.

Just did a little cursory research, and it looks like all the marina/rental operations are now run by Aramark, the Park Service Mega-Concessionaire. Not sure how I feel about that.

Lake Shasta, May Bueno

Lake Shasta, May Bueno

I live not far from Lake Shasta, drive by a few times a year, (usually on my way to a Giants game) and frankly the appeal is lost on me. The naked relatively steep rocky slopes between lake level and the tree line seem charmless. But someone must be renting all those houseboats!

Really two choices.

1-Lake Powell (or perhaps Shasta)

2-Cumberland Lake, Kentucky Lake, or Barkley Lake.

Both have beautiful scenery.

Lake Powell!! There are several firms at various locations. The ones at Bullfrog and Hall's Crossing are best situated. Page Az is also very active, but that end of the lake is less majestic.

It's been 30 years since I've done this, but I did it several times, and always had a good time.

I talked with a gentleman last year (before my nomination) who lived near Lake Powell he said it's crowded with jet skis and wake boards in the summer months. He also said it's really beautiful. So I will put that on the list

You will definitely want multiple boats. In my experience, 6 or 8 folks per boat works. Might want to tow a ski boat also. Do you have any actual mariners in this group? Not necessary, but it will improve the collective experience if a couple people know what they are doing.

Just did a little cursory research, and it looks like all the marina/rental operations are now run by Aramark, the Park Service Mega-Concessionaire. Not sure how I feel about that.

Probably will have an extra boat the mid-westerners are big on bass fishing. I have experience on sail and power boats and have been boating the Puget Sound for 40 years (on and off). It would be nice to find more of a mom and pop operation but...

Thanks

Really two choices.

1-Lake Powell (or perhaps Shasta)

2-Cumberland Lake, Kentucky Lake, or Barkley Lake.

Both have beautiful scenery.

I like number 2 Cumberland Lake, Kentucky or Barkley Lake. Years ago we did a vacation somewhere back in the Tennessee/Kentucky area at a resort. The water system we were on was huge it had a couple dams on it and lots of coves, nooks and crannies. I'm putting that on the list, I should have paid attention to where I was!

We have rented a house boat on Lake Cumberland and absolutely loved it. Lake was not crowded at all and we went in the middle of July. We brought my boat with us. We would move the houseboat every few days and use my boat to explore the lake and tube.

This is not where we rented from but it we return we will rent from this marina.
https://www.statedock.com/
Let me know if you decide on Cumberland. I can give you some pointer on where to tie off for the night.

We have rented a house boat on Lake Cumberland and absolutely loved it. Lake was not crowded at all and we went in the middle of July. We brought my boat with us. We would move the houseboat every few days and use my boat to explore the lake and tube.

This is not where we rented from but it we return we will rent from this marina.
https://www.statedock.com/
Let me know if you decide on Cumberland. I can give you some pointer on where to tie off for the night.

Cumberland and even Kentucky will be far less crowded during the summer months than Lake Powell.

Powell is fantastic, as I have written in the past its clean majestic, typically has very few bugs, no alligators or others that like to nibble. The scenery is varied for open flat plains to deep sandstone canyons. We last went at the first of June in 17 with 10 family members, I believe the boat was rated at 12. A ski boat is a must for water activities as flat water abounds.. and for sightseeing. August is typically the busiest.. but we have never found it so busy as to make it a issue.

Its a very magical place.
HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• IMG_4818.jpg
    IMG_4818.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4783.jpg
    IMG_4783.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 57
Powell is fantastic, as I have written in the past its clean majestic, typically has very few bugs, no alligators or others that like to nibble. The scenery is varied for open flat plains to deep sandstone canyons. We last went at the first of June in 17 with 10 family members, I believe the boat was rated at 12. A ski boat is a must for water activities as flat water abounds.. and for sightseeing. August is typically the busiest.. but we have never found it so busy as to make it a issue.

Its a very magical place.
HOLLYWOOD
We have cruised Lake Powell many times over 25 years, mostly in our trailer boats, but once in a houseboat. Our favorite times are May and September - too hot and crowded in mid summer.

Exploring in a small boat and hiking up the side canyons are delightful.

. Our favorite times are May and September - too hot and crowded in mid summer.

+1 Important to remember, you are not only in the desert, you are in an enormous reflector oven.

When I was there last month the daily highs ranged from 28 to 40 Celsius. That’s about 80-105 F.

I live not far from Lake Shasta, drive by a few times a year, (usually on my way to a Giants game) and frankly the appeal is lost on me. The naked relatively steep rocky slopes between lake level and the tree line seem charmless. But someone must be renting all those houseboats!

It's all about being somewhere near normal lake levels. I've done it on a variety of craft and it's really pretty with great weather most of the time.

Lake Tahoe

Not a possibility? I used to camp and boat there in the early 80's when stationed at Mare Island. Cold clear water, breathtaking scenery. As a matter of fact I don't see anything about Lake Tahoe on any of the boating forums I read. Wonder why?

We stayed on a houseboat on Lake Roosevelt in Washington state with my extended family. Beautiful lake, nice boat.

Crazy family. It was the longest week of my husband's life.

Thanks in advance

Eric

Lake Powell!!! It is a awesome place! Being on the water with 1200 (?) miles of shoreline in the middle of a picturesque southwestern desert is an experience you can't duplicate anywhere. Lots of houseboat rental opportunities...go in August or September...the heat is not so bad!

Listen to RCook - he's THE expert on Lake Powell. I've been to Powell with him and several times without him.

Here's how I went to Lake Powell with my houseboat...just scroll down to see the pictures.
One More Time Around: Houseboat - 2,000 Miles to Lake Powell

And how I went back.
One More Time Around: Big Duck Goes Back to Lake Powell 2015

I've used about 200 different ramps from Alaska to Key West and so far, no inland body of water compares to Lake Powell for beauty, diversity (and afternoon tempests). This includes Lakes Kentucky, Barkley, Cumberland, Havasu, Shasta, Whiskeytown or even the Great Lakes. We especially appreciated the No Bugs or dangerous water creatures on Powell, which is seldom the case for much of our other cruising.

Something to consider is what you plan on doing on the water. From my perspective, Powell is best for folks who plan to beach or anchor nights, enjoy being on the move and prefer remote untouched scenery. If you want to tie up overnight or for dinner and your cruising will be limited, then a smaller lake with marinas and restaurants might be a better choice. There are only a few marinas on Powell, one of which is accessible only by water. While we were at "Dangling Rope" on Powell, a houseboat pulled in for fuel - we heard the skipper tell the dockhand, "Stop the pump at 1,000 dollars."

I can't give you recommendations on the number of boats you’ll want, but my houseboat is 28’ x 8' and we had 4 adults, 2 kids and a dog on board for a week with all nights on the water – and wouldn't have it any other way.

Houseboat

Thanks in advance
Eric

Cumberland Lake in Kentucky is a great place with very large houseboats available. Could meet your needs.

Houseboat Rental

Cumberland Lake in Kentucky is a great place with very large houseboats available. Could meet your needs.

i have done lake cumberland several times but i really prefer norris lake , near knoxville tennessee. a lot more places to beach a houseboat, far less boat traffic and pristine water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom