Effect of fuel sulphur content on engine oil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some thoughts from an engineer working to keep generator exhaust clean......

"The impact of diesel fuel sulfur content on particulate matter production is very well documented and has been for years. Sulfur content has a large effect on lube oil life, exhaust system corrosion, exhaust smell, and hull cleanliness.

Our SeaClean emissions control system is engineered to account for fuel sulfur content and the amount of time the boat will spend in regions of the world where fuel may be suspect in order to reduce damage caused by sulfur. There are areas in the Caribbean and eastern Med where the bunker receipts cannot be trusted to reflect actual sulfur content.

The reason lube oil becomes dark is because of soot loading. Higher sulfur content fuel nearly exponentially increases soot production. For that reason alone it is critical to use a higher base number lube oil or change oil more often when using high sulfur fuel.

If the boat only operates in US waters or fuels from "first world" European sources as most readers of the forum, it is not an issue. "

I don't see a theoretical reason why ultra low sulfur fuel reduces sooting. Anyone know of any?

David

Anyone else catch the replacement of the injectors about the same time low sulfur fuel is used? 9000 hrs and injectors need to be replaced while oil is cleaner and less soot from drystack.
I know many over the road truckers that add cheap oil/transmission fluid to fuel tanks at fill up in order to provide additional lubcation to upper end because of low sulfur fuel.
And no, I’m not an engineer. Just seems a bit peculiar that injectors need to be replaced around the time low sulfur fuel is used.

Brent Sweet crude, North Sea. For years the producers in this area have said their crude is the best due to lower S. Brent sets the world price and gets a 10% premium. All this market posturing aside, I'd guess CC is right, injectors swapped out.

Better yet, forego a dry stack and keep a clean deck.

Passed along to me.....

"Reducing sulfur content reduces particulate production. The greatest amount of particulate matter is soot and in cboating vernacular, the crud that sticks to the transom, turns oil black, and darkens engine rooms when there is an exhaust leak is "soot.""

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/20464177.2013.11020283

The link may not work but shows one source of info.....

Passed along to me.....

"Reducing sulfur content reduces particulate production. The greatest amount of particulate matter is soot and in cboating vernacular, the crud that sticks to the transom, turns oil black, and darkens engine rooms when there is an exhaust leak is "soot.""

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/20464177.2013.11020283

The link may not work but shows one source of info.....
Indeed and this is why this started first with diesel for car/truck engines in countries where diesel are widely used (like France or many European countries) in an effort to reduce emitted particles and is expanding to other transportation. Ship must switch to high to low sulphur when reaching ports in many countries for the same reason.

L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom