Need Some Advice From South Louisiana People and Beyond.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tete Dure

Veteran Member
Just wanted to say glad I found this place because it seems there are a lot of South Louisiana people here. I welcome all advice but for all the water we have, it is different boating life.

A little bit about me.

1) I grew up in Grand Isle, La during the summer working for my Papa unloading shrimp boats thirty something years ago. Grew up and water and have had a boat off and on since then. The biggest being 20ish although I have piloted bigger boats (shrimp, oyster luggers, tug) it was just a hold the wheel in the gulf or bayou Lafourche.

2) My Parrin is a newly retired captain of a 312' supply boat and he is willing to teach me how to pilot a bigger boat.

3) For two years I worked on an inland cement barge were I've had to help the captain do maintenance on everything. Engines, electrical, etc. Also have access to a carpenter to help me make interior improvements.

4) Single and my daughter is in college.

Now for the help part.

What I want is a boat I can live on, take it to Grand Isle, Mississippi, Alabama, and hopefully the Keys. Go up river to Natchez etc. As much as I would like to go to Cuba etc, I own my on business so weekend trips and one three week trip. I would like to also have enough room to have guest aboard. Cruising is no fun alone.

1) The hardest part is finding a place to moor the boat. You think Baton Rouge having a river running through it there would be a place to park a boat. Anyone have any creative suggestions? I've got a couple of calls out to some tug companies to see if I can rent a slip but generally you can't have booze and need a TWIC card to get on the docks. I can dock it in Madisonville and commute 1hr each.

2) Budget is 300k tops and ~60' max. Boats that I have looked at on the internet are Chris Craft Roamer/Constellation (really love the Constellations) Burger Cockpit Motor Yacht, Bertram 57 Motor Yacht, and of course the Hattaras. Open to suggestions on boats. Prefer not to have a gas boat or at least be able to switch them to diesel.

3) Besides here, is there a place to do research on boats?

4) Needs to have or be able to have A/C.

5) I did fall in love with the 1931 Boeing Fantall but I think that would be a money pit. The boat is complete restored but getting it here from Washington, etc . might be a problem. I do love old things and am not scared of of them. I have a Fiat Spider that requires more maintenance than a jet fighter.

So while lurking, I made out a list of what I need. A decent kitchen to cook, room to store things( sometimes I have to wear a tux and suit..could store this at work no problem) , awesome awesome wood (might be the booze talking), and a classic look.

Thanks everyone.

I am from Texas and Louisiana. The best place is Madisonville, there are two marinas with covered docks.

Next is New Orleans, kind of hit or miss for marinas, but you have the town to party in.

West of the Mississippi River sucks. Nothing to see or go to, but you should know that. We will never go west of the Mississippi again.

I would not consider leaving a boat anywhere on the Mississippi and seriously doubt you can. It is a problem looking for an opportunity.

Plenty of places to leave the boat for a month or longer going east. Just find a cool place and stay a month, so you can work.

We have a GB 36 Europa, and really love the boat for two people, and cruising the gulf coast. Currently in Key West for winter.

I am from Texas and Louisiana. The best place is Madisonville, there are two marinas with covered docks.

Next is New Orleans, kind of hit or miss for marinas, but you have the town to party in.

West of the Mississippi River sucks. Nothing to see or go to, but you should know that. We will never go west of the Mississippi again.

I would not consider leaving a boat anywhere on the Mississippi and seriously doubt you can. It is a problem looking for an opportunity.

Plenty of places to leave the boat for a month or longer going east. Just find a cool place and stay a month, so you can work.

We have a GB 36 Europa, and really love the boat for two people, and cruising the gulf coast. Currently in Key West for winter.

Holy smokes I didn't thing I could afford a GB.

The whole reason I wanted to stay in BR was my business is here, my friends are here, I've got connections, and back to the business I really can't leave now. We have just invented a "botanical extractor" that is about 40k cheaper than others and a lot of places out west are interested. We have close to 100 orders in our beta test. I did think about Madisonville. and Nola but I-10/12 traffic sucks.

Having said that I agree with you about the Mississippi and west of it. If I never see Sabine Pass, I will die a happy man. I could get an appartment here and live on the boat for the weekend and my three week vacation. Being close to the Gulf would give me a better operating range.

Thanks for all the advice. If you come back for the orange feast let me know.

We have struggled with the same question. We have a slip for our boat behind our house in Houma but after years of trying different venues now leave it at Longboat Key, FL. There are three non stop flights to Tampa daily from Nola and we can be at the boat in five hours from the house. While fishing and hunting are better at home can’t beat SW Florida for crusing. It just all depends on what you want to do. We stayed at Orange Beach for a few years but the drive gets old and we like being in striking distance to the Keys and Bahamas. We have done the loop and enjoy the crusing lifestyle. Hope it works out for you! Our blog is mvmoondance.blogspot.com. Yachtworld is a good website to see what boats are out there for sale.

Steve Willet puts on a yearly get together for South Louisiana boaters. We will add you to the invite list. Good luck on your search!

If you have a 300k budget, find a nice boat for 200k and you will have another 100k to make it your own incrementally. Key is to spend the time, and it takes time, to find a good boat. You can be in a damn nice boat of your choice for that kind of money. The key understanding what you really want and need and getting it right the first time. Sort of like a marriage :)

Just wanted to say glad I found this place because it seems there are a lot of South Louisiana people here. I welcome all advice but for all the water we have, it is different boating life.

A little bit about me.

1) I grew up in Grand Isle, La during the summer working for my Papa unloading shrimp boats thirty something years ago. Grew up and water and have had a boat off and on since then. The biggest being 20ish although I have piloted bigger boats (shrimp, oyster luggers, tug) it was just a hold the wheel in the gulf or bayou Lafourche.

2) My Parrin is a newly retired captain of a 312' supply boat and he is willing to teach me how to pilot a bigger boat.

3) For two years I worked on an inland cement barge were I've had to help the captain do maintenance on everything. Engines, electrical, etc. Also have access to a carpenter to help me make interior improvements.

4) Single and my daughter is in college.

Now for the help part.

What I want is a boat I can live on, take it to Grand Isle, Mississippi, Alabama, and hopefully the Keys. Go up river to Natchez etc. As much as I would like to go to Cuba etc, I own my on business so weekend trips and one three week trip. I would like to also have enough room to have guest aboard. Cruising is no fun alone.

1) The hardest part is finding a place to moor the boat. You think Baton Rouge having a river running through it there would be a place to park a boat. Anyone have any creative suggestions? I've got a couple of calls out to some tug companies to see if I can rent a slip but generally you can't have booze and need a TWIC card to get on the docks. I can dock it in Madisonville and commute 1hr each.

2) Budget is 300k tops and ~60' max. Boats that I have looked at on the internet are Chris Craft Roamer/Constellation (really love the Constellations) Burger Cockpit Motor Yacht, Bertram 57 Motor Yacht, and of course the Hattaras. Open to suggestions on boats. Prefer not to have a gas boat or at least be able to switch them to diesel.

3) Besides here, is there a place to do research on boats?

4) Needs to have or be able to have A/C.

5) I did fall in love with the 1931 Boeing Fantall but I think that would be a money pit. The boat is complete restored but getting it here from Washington, etc . might be a problem. I do love old things and am not scared of of them. I have a Fiat Spider that requires more maintenance than a jet fighter.

So while lurking, I made out a list of what I need. A decent kitchen to cook, room to store things( sometimes I have to wear a tux and suit..could store this at work no problem) , awesome awesome wood (might be the booze talking), and a classic look.

Thanks everyone.

I understand your dilemma about finding a place to moor a “pleasure boat” in south Louisiana. I have 10 acres at the Port of West St Mary where I had plans to build a marina but was subsequently quashed by concerns from industrial yards nearby. Did you look at the area southwest of BR like Plaquemines, Bayou Sorrel and Pierre Part? I drove through there many times and it seems to have lot of interesting waterfront not far from where you are at. No marinas but you may be able to find room at a private dock.

Welcome Aboard, Tete Dure!

If you are good at piloting a small boat you are probably good at piloting a larger boat.

I love the old Chris Crafts, too, especially for their thick fiberglass hulls with no core. Owned one when I was younger, but I would not buy another one because the old Chris Crafts have unprotected running gear, i.e. no keel to protect the rudder & prop.

There are many, many choices and trade-offs in selecting a liveaboard trawler. Wood hull vs fiberglass hull vs aluminum hull vs steel hull (personally I prefer fiberglass). Then there is the monohull vs catamaran choice.

Size of engine room, diesel vs gas (most owners here have diesel), type and size of reefer, solar or not, even what type of toilet to have (where are the nearest pump-out stations?).

:socool:

Draft and bridge clearance are also important factors to consider that will affect where you can motor your boat.

If you search on all of the above here on TF you will see multiple opinions on all of the above. You will also begin to get a better idea of what you want. Your budget gives you a lot of choice in the used market, not so much in the new market.

If I am talking about stuff you have already considered and decided upon, please pardon me, Monsieur.

However, I think you already understand the most important factor, which is to find a secure marina to live aboard that isn't too far from your work. That should probably come first, before you secure your future floating dream home. I am somewhat surprised to read here that south Louisiana does not have many marinas.

Cheers,
Pea

Buy yourself a Powerboat Guide book. https://www.powerboatguide.com

These are great a resource and you don't have to buy the latest one. In fact its best not to if buying a used boat as it will likely have discontinued models as well as manufacturers who've gone out of business.

Have you considered docking in "Laffy-Yet" / "Op-a-loose-ass" area? Atchafalaya would allow trips to Natchez, Shreveport, And all points North on Mississip and others but much less traffic on Atchafalaya, Red, and Arkansas rivers.
P.S. Natchez doesn't have a marina/dockage either.

I know its heresy to say it on this site, but.......I really want something along the lines of a 40-50' center cockpit motorsailer for our next "big boat". Shallow draft like a Morgan OutIsland with a real engine room. We did check out a 48(?) Bertram and must admit it was the nicest of the big older cruisers we viewed (Viking, Hatteras, ChrisCraft, UniFlyte). We saw several catamarans ,power and sail, and while we loved the salon layouts, the berth and engine access took them of the list immediately.

YMMV

Last edited:
Marina Del Ray in Madisonville is expanding there covered slips so that's an option.
There are 4 marinas in Springfield where we are. 45 min to I10/12 split
Miss Puddin would be a great buyers broker over this way
I know of a Sundeck LOA about 46 footer over here for sale in a covered slip.
If you get this way let us know and we can swap lies.

I understand your dilemma about finding a place to moor a “pleasure boat” in south Louisiana. I have 10 acres at the Port of West St Mary where I had plans to build a marina but was subsequently quashed by concerns from industrial yards nearby. Did you look at the area southwest of BR like Plaquemines, Bayou Sorrel and Pierre Part? I drove through there many times and it seems to have lot of interesting waterfront not far from where you are at. No marinas but you may be able to find room at a private dock.

That's a shame. It is always shocked me the lack of marinas out that way. It shocks me that Fourchon doesn't have a marina for big boats. What were the industries concern?

The first two might work for me. Pierre Part is pretty far for a daily commute.

Thanks

We have struggled with the same question. We have a slip for our boat behind our house in Houma but after years of trying different venues now leave it at Longboat Key, FL. There are three non stop flights to Tampa daily from Nola and we can be at the boat in five hours from the house. While fishing and hunting are better at home can’t beat SW Florida for crusing. It just all depends on what you want to do. We stayed at Orange Beach for a few years but the drive gets old and we like being in striking distance to the Keys and Bahamas. We have done the loop and enjoy the crusing lifestyle. Hope it works out for you! Our blog is mvmoondance.blogspot.com. Yachtworld is a good website to see what boats are out there for sale.

Steve Willet puts on a yearly get together for South Louisiana boaters. We will add you to the invite list. Good luck on your search!

I appreciate being put on the list! I knew some Willets from Thibodaux.

So I did think about parking somewhere in Florida and just going down there for the weekend. It was actually my original plan when I worked 14/14. Unfortunately, I was laid off and as a business owner I work M-F and three weeks off. It is a shame that as tourist driven and being surrounded by water that we aren't really friendly to boaters.

Thanks for the tips. They are definitely something to think about.

If you have a 300k budget, find a nice boat for 200k and you will have another 100k to make it your own incrementally. Key is to spend the time, and it takes time, to find a good boat. You can be in a damn nice boat of your choice for that kind of money. The key understanding what you really want and need and getting it right the first time. Sort of like a marriage :)

Thanks for the good advice. Works the same way as buying a classic car.

Welcome Aboard, Tete Dure!

If you are good at piloting a small boat you are probably good at piloting a larger boat.

I love the old Chris Crafts, too, especially for their thick fiberglass hulls with no core. Owned one when I was younger, but I would not buy another one because the old Chris Crafts have unprotected running gear, i.e. no keel to protect the rudder & prop.

There are many, many choices and trade-offs in selecting a liveaboard trawler. Wood hull vs fiberglass hull vs aluminum hull vs steel hull (personally I prefer fiberglass). Then there is the monohull vs catamaran choice.

Size of engine room, diesel vs gas (most owners here have diesel), type and size of reefer, solar or not, even what type of toilet to have (where are the nearest pump-out stations?).

:socool:

Draft and bridge clearance are also important factors to consider that will affect where you can motor your boat.

If you search on all of the above here on TF you will see multiple opinions on all of the above. You will also begin to get a better idea of what you want. Your budget gives you a lot of choice in the used market, not so much in the new market.

If I am talking about stuff you have already considered and decided upon, please pardon me, Monsieur.

However, I think you already understand the most important factor, which is to find a secure marina to live aboard that isn't too far from your work. That should probably come first, before you secure your future floating dream home. I am somewhat surprised to read here that south Louisiana does not have many marinas.

Cheers,
Pea

Thanks Pea...I don't mind listening to others advice even if I have thought of it already they might have made a point I didn't consider.

Marina Del Ray in Madisonville is expanding there covered slips so that's an option.
There are 4 marinas in Springfield where we are. 45 min to I10/12 split
Miss Puddin would be a great buyers broker over this way
I know of a Sundeck LOA about 46 footer over here for sale in a covered slip.
If you get this way let us know and we can swap lies.

The Sundeck looks like a really nice trawler. Does the boat seem like in good shape? Appreciate the heads up.

I will be more the happy to swap beers and lies...I mean stories.

Thanks for all the tips.

Buy yourself a Powerboat Guide book. https://www.powerboatguide.com

These are great a resource and you don't have to buy the latest one. In fact its best not to if buying a used boat as it will likely have discontinued models as well as manufacturers who've gone out of business.

Have you considered docking in "Laffy-Yet" / "Op-a-loose-ass" area? Atchafalaya would allow trips to Natchez, Shreveport, And all points North on Mississip and others but much less traffic on Atchafalaya, Red, and Arkansas rivers.
P.S. Natchez doesn't have a marina/dockage either.

I know its heresy to say it on this site, but.......I really want something along the lines of a 40-50' center cockpit motorsailer for our next "big boat". Shallow draft like a Morgan OutIsland with a real engine room. We did check out a 48(?) Bertram and must admit it was the nicest of the big older cruisers we viewed (Viking, Hatteras, ChrisCraft, UniFlyte). We saw several catamarans ,power and sail, and while we loved the salon layouts, the berth and engine access took them of the list immediately.

YMMV

Have you checked Blood River marina?
Marina | Blood River Marina

On order. Looking forward to getting it in the mail.

Betrams are nice. Really, if it has a wood interior and a nice galley. I'm happy. It will take me some time to narrow down what I want especially since I haven't been on any of them yet.

I might sell my boat at 300k

We have been in Marina Del Ray Madisonville for 2 years in a river slip. Great place and great restaurants in the area.

Berwick mentioned our Boaters Lunch, usually held sometime in Jan or Feb. Later today I'll send information in a "private message" to your profile page inbox on this site, we can exchange contact information and add you to the list.
We have stayed in Madisonville on the boat a few times and enjoyed it.

That's a shame. It is always shocked me the lack of marinas out that way. It shocks me that Fourchon doesn't have a marina for big boats. What were the industries concern?

The first two might work for me. Pierre Part is pretty far for a daily commute.

Thanks

There was one offshore rig fabrication yard across the canal from me that complained to the parish saying they didn’t want to have “million dollar yachts” next door. I had a plan with about 50 slips covered and uncovered. I’m building boat/trailer sheds for now on the property, they will all be +13 ft above sea level. Cypremort Point just south of us has a small marina but there is no room and no protection from storms.

Hey Tete!

Just my $.02. Madisonville would be my choice hands down. Either Beau Chene or Hidden Harbor marinas. If ya leave early morning from BR you're just 45 to an hour away to your boat. All over the Northshore are mechanics, AC and electrical specialists that make boat calls which offers great support.
Best advice earlier was to spend $200,000 then use the $100,000 for upgrades. You might consider the Hat 53ft motor yacht with the DDs (stabilized). There are some great deals out there on this series. Enjoy your search!

BTW, if there is any interest I'm putting a boat up for sale it's 65 x 18.5 custom rebuilt in 1999 solid mahogany interior. 2 - 6 cylinder MAN diesels. Haven't listed it yet. It's in Empire, LA.

JT

Attachments

• SeaPearl 2003.jpg
    SeaPearl 2003.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 53
Several marinas in the Springfield area and one on the diversion canal out side of Maurepas. I don't know what side of BR you work on but either would be a quick trip to work it you take the back roads.
If you know someone who has a place on the diversion you could try and work something out with them to leave a boat there.

The Stephensville area could be an option. Not really a marina but I know a place on Four Mile Bayou that has a few slips available.
The problem with the Pierre Part area is Lake Veret and Belle River north of the Belle River bridge has silted in so much that I kick up mud in a 25' bay boat.

BTW, if there is any interest I'm putting a boat up for sale it's 65 x 18.5 custom rebuilt in 1999 solid mahogany interior. 2 - 6 cylinder MAN diesels. Haven't listed it yet. It's in Empire, LA.

JT

I like this. Was it built on a production hull?

I like this. Was it built on a production hull?

It was built in 1985 at Master Marine Construction in Ft. Pierce Fla. They built mostly commercial and a few recreational vessels and closed down in the mid 90's. It's been a USCG inspected vessel for charter for up to 49 passengers. We had the entire boat rebuilt in the late 90's for more private accommodation, including full galley saloon, and 3 bedrooms & 3 heads.

We have one in blood river marina. Think there is some open slips. It’s private and have to have a gate code to drive into the marina by land. I can be from the marina to my shop In 45 min. Make em wet would be my other choice in Springfield.

Back
Top Bottom