Requesting tips on purchasing a loop boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kentucky Mule

Hello-Please forgive me in advance but since I am new to this I have some amateur questions. I am starting my search for a loop boat. I actually had a contract on a 42 foot boat but there were a number of issues which prompted me to walk away from the deal. Here are a few of my concerns:
1) Is it customary to be offered to go on a test ride when you are looking (before making an offer) at it?
2) What is your experience in how a Monk handles in comparison to other 36 foot trawlers?
Thank you!

Have you joined the Great Loop Association?

May get additional if not better info...even though some here have done it and are worthy to listen to.

1) Is it customary to be offered to go on a test ride when you are looking (before making an offer) at it?
2) What is your experience in how a Monk handles in comparison to other 36 foot trawlers?
Thank you!

1) No that is not customary. I would give a tour and "possibly" start the engine at the dock, but maybe not.
2) No personal experience but a friend owned one and did the loop and said it was great. They have an excellent reputation.

While it's certainly not customary to take a ride on a boat before making an offer, it never hurts to ask. If you find a boat make / model that you like, see if one of the charter companies has one you can rent.

While Looping last year, I saw 3 or 4 monks on the Loop. They certainly are a popular boat for Looping and a comfortable boat for a couple.

Ted

Having been there, done that.....at least with gas engines, I would ask when the risers and elbows were replaced. If over 5 years or used exclusively in fresh water I would walk if the seller refused to replace them prior to the sale or at least lower the sale price by $1500/engine.

A failed riser results in a failed engine and no, do NOT accept someone’s claim that they were pulled for inspection and look fine.

Welcome aboard!
1- Not normal for that size boat but not unheard of either. If its a FSBO and they are nice full time cruisers, sure they may not have anything else to do and know the condition of their boat. Most boat owners have other things to do besides giving free boat rides to strangers.

2- Monks 36s handle pretty much like other 36s unless you are talking about the few that have 300+ hp Cummins.

I think some/most/?all brokers have a rule of no test run(sea trial) without a signed deal subject to sea trial and survey.
Not sure that is a good rule,I`d have thought there should be some flexibility. I cannot imagine a reason not to start engines,except a broker might do so without opening the seacocks, leading to costly consequences and (it`s not all bad), fees for lawyers.

First, welcome aboard. Usually no test ride without a signed offer. When I have sold boats myself, if I thought the buyer was very serious and a test ride might close the deal, I have done a test ride with the buyer and it did close the deal several times. Brokers do not want to be giving away free boat rides so they want a signed offer.

It was my understanding that a contract separates the " not serious lookers" from the buyers. Personally, I would think a fee for a test ride that could be applied to purchase, would be reasonable. $500 for boats below 50' for an hour ride would seem reasonable.

Ted

Test ride? Sure I'll take you out on one. First stop - the fuel dock and not on my credit card. Second stop, the rider gets to use the hose and brush bucket to clean up the boat after the ride. Third stop, haul the trash and fourth step replenish the beer cooler. :D

Last edited:
There is little required of a looper besides reliability.

Most is protected waters , limited speed and plenty of anchorages or marinas enroute.

If the boat is JUST to loop , the smallest boat you can be comfortable on , 25" ft ?? with a gas IO or outboard would be fine.

Brave folks have done it in jet skis and 14 ft outboards , backwards up from the Gulf!

If this is your first boat adventure , purchase a boat from folks that love to anchor out. The gear you need to be comfortable anchoring out will be installed and operating.

Should you find you prefer the M>M (marina to marina) living there will be no extra expense , except a few more fenders and dock lines.

Enjoy !!

Back
Top Bottom