Gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Inquiry -- Where do you store your gasoline for your dinghy's outboard?** KJ

KJ wrote:
*In the dinghy or on the platform. *Never onboard. *Just too risky.

Attachments

• chesapeake trip '11 086.jpg
    chesapeake trip '11 086.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 63
In the sailing dinghy that's stowed in a cradle on top of the aft cabin. In addition to the outboard fuel the dinghy also holds our crab pot, oil for our anchor lantern, small propane bottles for our portable heater, and other odds and ends. We leave the drain plugs in the keel of the dingy out so any gas fumes that might escape inside the dinghy drain out and overboard.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 24th of December 2011 09:04:36 PM

Attachments

• la perouse 5.jpg
    la perouse 5.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 66
Marin wrote:
In the sailing dinghy that's stowed in a cradle on top of the aft cabin. In addition to the outboard fuel the dinghy also holds our crab pot, oil for our anchor lantern, small propane bottles for our portable heater, and other odds and ends. We leave the drain plugs in the keel of the dingy out so any gas fumes that might escape inside the dinghy drain out and overboard.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 24th of December 2011 09:04:36 PM
*Nice boat.* I like you're set up.****** KJ

It's called a Montgomery 7-11, so named because of its length.. It's a really fun boat for one person to sail or row. But for two larger people plus a dog it is a terrible shoreboat, not very stable and with a fairly low load capacity. Plus it has to be launched and retreived with the mast and boom, something that takes time and could be disastrous in an emergency.

We put up with it for a few months after buying the GB but we soon realized we needed a much more stable, load-carrying boat for a daily dinghy as well as something that could be deployed in a minute or two, not fifteen or twenty.. So we added the 9' Livingston on Weaver davits on the swimstep.

A previous owner named the Montgomery "Wee Hand," and we've kept that since the name was put on the transom with nise bronze letters.

The photo is from a couple of years ago when friends from France cruised with us into the Gulf Islands for a couple of weeks.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 25th of December 2011 02:14:13 AM

Attachments

• dinghy.jpg
    dinghy.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 63
KJ wrote:
*The real question is where YOU can safely store it.* Your boat may have some suitable areas that others may not or vice versa.

Usually any place topside except for a deep cockpit with small or flapper style scuppers is safe enough unless it leaks for some reason.* On a swim platform or in a dingy on davits is great but not everyone has that luxury...and it's not that unsafe aboard as everyone from Coasties to commercial to rec boats store it aboard and I can't think of the last time I heard of stored gas being involved in a incindent. (maybe after the fact but not the cause)....

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 25th of December 2011 12:22:51 PM

I had to have a survey this year. The surveyor (same guy I have had do all the surveys on Retreat since I bought her) was being especially safety conscious this year. He had to move my 5 gal plastic jerrycans of outboard gas to get at my 5 hp Honda fire pump. I previous surveys he had noted the fire pump without comment. This time he didn't like it, due to it being fuelled with gasoline. He required a more secure storage of the pump as a result, but still made no comment about the gas cans. Those are standing behind a locker, in front of the rail that surrounds the flybridge, so when in a rough sea, they "could" move a bit, but usually they don't. I am with Scott as to not knowing of any incidents in which the storage of outboard fuel played any role in the cause.

ON the rail, as the tank doubles as the fuel supply for the 4KW noisemaker.

In most harbors OARS works better than a dink motor as in a 9 ft hard dink the gov mandated equipment takes far too much space.

For a look round the large harbors the dink sails are better as they don't stink , or make noise.

The only gasoline on my boat is in an eleven gallon seat tank built into my dinghy, which is held upright on the davits. But honestly, I would be happy to carry a can in my cockpit or swimstep. I would not however carry it on the flybridge, as it would get into places not desired if a leak occurred. I also wouldn't carry it in the cabin or engine room.

That is the best photo of a lobster boat I've ever seen. Bar none!

SeaHorse II wrote:

*Thanks Walt! I'm glad to see you are still here. As you may recall, Marin gets credit for the photo. He has a good eye.*

Carey wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:

*Thanks Walt! I'm glad to see you are still here. As you may recall, Marin gets credit for the photo. He has a good eye.*

*I'm not certain that I would qualify that comment to just *apply to lobster boats. *That's a one in a million shot.

Moonstruck wrote:Carey wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:

*I'm not certain that I would qualify that comment to just *apply to lobster boats. *That's a one in a million shot.

*Don

Marin won't admit it, but he did have two lighting teams on adjacent boats in front of and behind him.

no.gif

Carey wrote:Moonstruck wrote:Carey wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:

*Don

Marin won't admit it, but he did have two lighting teams on adjacent boats in front of and behind him.

no.gif

*Only thing that could have made it better was a dark hull to sort of balance it out.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

<table style="font-size:inherit;color:#000000;text-align:right;background-color:#eff2f9;width:120px;float:right;padding-top:3px;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td style="text-align:center;"><table style="font-size:12px;float:right;margin-right:5px;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr style="border-width:0px;" align="center" valign="bottom"><td style="border-width:0px;">
smile.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Moonstruck wrote:Carey wrote:Moonstruck wrote:Carey wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:

*Don

no.gif

*Only thing that could have made it better was a dark hull to sort of balance it out.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

<table style="font-size:inherit;color:#000000;text-align:right;background-color:#eff2f9;width:120px;float:right;padding-top:3px;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td style="text-align:center;"><table style="font-size:12px;float:right;margin-right:5px;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr style="border-width:0px;" align="center" valign="bottom"><td style="border-width:0px;">
smile.gif
*If I should ever paint it, I will likely opt for a navy blue hull. If for no other reason, the fact that I like yours so well. Or black.

Carey wrote:
smile.gif
*If I should ever paint it, I will likely opt for a navy blue hull. If for no other reason, the fact that I like yours so well. Or black.

Bad idea I think.* Then it will look like some uppity yacht thing instead of a lobsterboat.* I think lobsterboats look best when they're all one color.* White is best in my opinion but if one wants something other than white, the second boat pictured below is a nice shade.*

But I think two-tone looks wrong on a lobsterboat.* It breaks up the overall design and makes it look like it's trying to be something that it's not.* Two-tone works fine on something like an Eastbay, but to me it ruins the lines of a true lobsterboat.* I think your boat would look top heavy, Carey, if you painted the hull a dark color.

Attachments

• lobster 2.jpg
    lobster 2.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 57
  • lobster 1.jpg
    lobster 1.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 65
Outboard and Honda gen set petrol I carry 6 x 20 lt jerry cans in the storage box on top of the wheel house and also another 20 lt tank in the dinghy , this is also on top of the wheel house.
Do a lot of dinghy work when away, fishing, spearing etc so require reasonable amount of fuel.
No bowsers out around the Great Barrier Reef.
Also use the Honda gen set to power the battery charger whilst I am away fishing instead of running the diesel gen set.

Carey wrote:
*Dark green is nice too!

Attachments

• back in water2.jpg
    back in water2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 68
If I should ever paint it, I will likely opt for a navy blue hull. If for no other reason, the fact that I like yours so well. Or black.

Dark green is nice too!

This may get interesting when you are south of about 20N.

I probably shouldn't, but I carry it in the aft cockpit. It's open to the air and it does have drains though. I only carry a gallon and I only recently bought the dinghy and motor. I might have to think about it.

I carry at minimum one 6 gallon plastic outboard can on the cockpit deck. Sometimes either a 3 gallon outboard container and/OR a 5 gallon plastic jerry jug full. All 2 cycle gas all containers tied in place when underway.

FF wrote:
If I should ever paint it, I will likely opt for a navy blue hull. If for no other reason, the fact that I like yours so well. Or black.

Dark green is nice too!

This may get interesting when you are south of about 20N.
*Fred

This boy has no interest in boating below 48N, so all is well. Chances are the hull will remain white anyway.

What brand of davit is that?* I am starting to look for a setup that can safely keep a dinghy and motor in the ready to launch position. I would like to do it with a 11' Dinghy and 9.9hp motor if at all possible
Carey wrote:
The only gasoline on my boat is in an eleven gallon seat tank built into my dinghy, which is held upright on the davits. But honestly, I would be happy to carry a can in my cockpit or swimstep. I would not however carry it on the flybridge, as it would get into places not desired if a leak occurred. I also wouldn't carry it in the cabin or engine room.

Badger wrote:What brand of davit is that?* I am starting to look for a setup that can safely keep a dinghy and motor in the ready to launch position. I would like to do it with a 11' Dinghy and 9.9hp motor if at all possible
Carey wrote:
It's a custom davit I designed and had built. It's totally manual, and supporting a relatively heavy ten foot dink with a fifteen horse honda. Total wieght is about 450lbs with fuel.*

Simpson Laurence has SS davits that will carry a large dink and motor load.

They can be mounted in an optional deck shoe , so can be struck when not needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom