Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too apologize... for thread drift - Matt!!

Ben - looking forward to your thread where we all can help you choose a boat.

Maybe Matt will sell you his... when he takes on his next boat restoration/complete-rebuild!

Matt is building the ultimate dream boat. I don't think a price can be put on it. His upholstery job alone would cover the cost of the boats I'm looking at. :thumb:

My thread.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/boat-build-boat-buy-seeking-advice-40453.html

Matt, whip us back into shape please.
I noticed after I wrote my thesis, not only thread drift but also not allowing for your expertise, sorry.

Hahahaha to be fair I actually started all of this talk about bens boat so don’t apologise hahaha. I like talking about other people’s interests while I have nothing new to share :)

Thanks fro checking in mate. Great to hear from you :).

Hope you’re well buddy

It's good mate, we just broke ground on our retirement home in Port Townsend, USA. Should take 6 months to build. I'm getting a shell and going to finish her off ourselves. We'll have an air B&B with a 'friends and family" rate.

It's good mate, we just broke ground on our retirement home in Port Townsend, USA. Should take 6 months to build. I'm getting a shell and going to finish her off ourselves. We'll have an air B&B with a 'friends and family" rate.

Nice one mate congratulations :)

Rather than leave it at the error/mistake, let's discuss it a bit.
When "de-anchoring" one should run-up on the anchor rode a little, watching the angle of the rode, shift into neutral, take in the slack, do again until the rode is vertical then shift with the windlass lift the anchor, securing in place. Unless there are 2 or more people involved, this could take some time depending on how much rode has been deployed. It will take even more time if there is only one person involve and the distance between from the pulpit, windlass control and the helm.
What can go wrong, inattentiveness to the angle of the rode, mechanical or electrical failure or main engine clutches.
Trying to pull the boat forward using windlass motor is a no-no and a good way to destroy the windlass and or motor.
Some folks have a line cutter but that will only help if your rode is rope. That will lead to the anchor recovery problems. Hello divers.

Rather than leave it at the error/mistake, let's discuss it a bit.
When "de-anchoring" one should run-up on the anchor rode a little, watching the angle of the rode, shift into neutral, take in the slack, do again until the rode is vertical then shift with the windlass lift the anchor, securing in place. Unless there are 2 or more people involved, this could take some time depending on how much rode has been deployed. It will take even more time if there is only one person involve and the distance between from the pulpit, windlass control and the helm.
What can go wrong, inattentiveness to the angle of the rode, mechanical or electrical failure or main engine clutches.
Trying to pull the boat forward using windlass motor is a no-no and a good way to destroy the windlass and or motor.
Some folks have a line cutter but that will only help if your rode is rope. That will lead to the anchor recovery problems. Hello divers.

I agree with your methodology for anchor retrieval. That video showed damaged that I feel is consistent with “de-anchoring” at speed. Was the skipper was too confident in his/her abilities? Intoxicated? Distracted/inattentive?. No one will ever know; but incidents like this should be at the forefront of a skipper mind when lifting the pick to assist in being alert.

I agree with your methodology for anchor retrieval. That video showed damaged that I feel is consistent with “de-anchoring” at speed. Was the skipper was too confident in his/her abilities? Intoxicated? Distracted/inattentive?. No one will ever know; but incidents like this should be at the forefront of a skipper mind when lifting the pick to assist in being alert.

I forgot, maintain the bow into the current.
Yea, seem obvious but if one does not say it, someone will not do it.
I would not agree to "creeping" forward while attempting to move forward at the windlass station. Just takes one mistake with the windlass clutch or throttle to try to 'eat' your chain anchor line.

Last edited:
Per wireless windlass control and or clutch and or throttle control, they have been known to fail at the worse possible movement.

You guys are harsh. The gent was only trying a new innovative way to clean the bottom and props. Looks like it worked pretty good. :lol:

That could have gone way worse than a fowled and dinged prop.

You guys are harsh. The gent was only trying a new innovative way to clean the bottom and props. Looks like it worked pretty good. :lol:

That could have gone way worse than a fowled and dinged prop.

Lol well that’s a lesson for ya there Benny boy. When you buy your boat, Don’t clean the prop with that chain ;-)

Well today SOLSTICE’s 240v electrical circuitry and components were put under the microscope at by an electrical inspector and she passed. I also had to fit a smoke detector but that’s cool. Safety first I guess.

IMG_3947.jpg
IMG_3942.jpg
IMG_3943.jpg

That pick up on weed smoke too... that make it sound off a funny, slower than usual alarm sound though - LOL!!

I wouldn’t know, I dont smoke but clearly you do ya big stoner lol

Not since Nov 25, 1995! Soon to be 23 yrs. C&S - with no slip. :thumb:

Was a raucous, fun, hard working, businessman, party boy previously!! Since 11/25/1995 just a fun, hard working, business boy!!! :D

Still like an occasional party; just never indulge in the bubbly nor any illicit fun concoction.

And, quit cigs Dec 18 of same year. Cleaned up my act completely at 43 yrs. old

Writing [regarding future health and ermmm - "some" other items] was on the wall. I read the script carefully to my future and decided "clean" was by far the best alternative!! :popcorn:

Still having a fun life at 66 with decades to come [hopefully]; have been doing so for couple decades of C&S... i.e., one day at a time!! LOL :dance:

Not since Nov 25, 1995! Soon to be 23 yrs. C&S - with no slip. :thumb:

Was a raucous, fun, hard working, businessman, party boy previously!! Since 11/25/1995 just a fun, hard working, business boy!!! [emoji3]

Still like an occasional party; just never indulge in the bubbly nor any illicit fun concoction.

And, quit cigs Dec 18 of same year. Cleaned up my act completely at 43 yrs. old

Writing [regarding future health and ermmm - "some" other items] was on the wall. I read the script carefully to my future and decided "clean" was by far the best alternative!! :popcorn:

Still having a fun life at 66 with decades to come [hopefully]; have been doing so for couple decades of C&S... i.e., one day at a time!! LOL :dance:

I hope for your continued health brother..!!

Couple of hours on the boat today. Put trim pieces that will get painted for around the hatch opening that also finished off the upholstery. I installed some grab rails on the inside and fixed off some light switches then cut the hole in the external of the roof for the Furuno Raydome wiring, the TV antenna wiring and then cut the main hole for the wiring chute from the roof to inside the cabin then down through the floor to go in for the Solar panels wiring, the VHF radio and the GPS wiring.

IMG_3973.jpg
IMG_3975.jpg
IMG_3976.jpg
IMG_3977.jpg
IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3979.jpg
IMG_3980.jpg
IMG_3982.jpg
IMG_3983.jpg

Matt me mate - You do more in couple hrs. than most could accomplish in a day +!! :thumb: :D

Looking mighty fine mate! TV on a boat!? It was always my place to escape [emoji41]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom