View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #18
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
RE: Tipping a dockhand

Don't know what I will do when I start cruising.

My charter business is run out of the one of the nicest marinas (clean and well run) on the East coast. The dock hands wear uniforms (shorts and tee shirts), smile and greet everyone they come in contact with. They are taught to be helpful and follow directions of the captain when handling lines. They are around to help you and are taught not to expect or request tips as these services are covered by dockage or whatever else you buy at the marina.

As a charter boat, I come and go 5 days a week and generally interact with 2 dock hands and 3 ladies in the office. While I don't tip them with cash, I do give them lobsters, shucked scallops, and fish fillets which I catch on my charter trips. Also, they get a gift certificate for a local restaurant at Christmas. As a result, neither I nor my customers can do any wrong at the marina. For my home marina, I like everyone knowing who I am and that I'm a nice guy and not just another a**hole who owns a boat. Definitely helped being an appreciated customer when hurricane Irene was coming.
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote