B&G Depth Sounder Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I am having an issue with my B&G depth sounder. I have a Raymarine for redundancy so not critical, more annoying.

It reads fine, matching the other reading, then it starts dropping through the numbers down to zero, and after a few seconds starts coming back up again to the accurate reading. This happens pretty constantly.

Any thoughts on where to troubleshoot, or just better/easier to replace the transducer on the next haul?

Is the transducer in the water or inside on the hull?

What's the transducer? I have had a lot of trouble with the Airmar DT800/DST800 "smart" transducer that connects directly to NMEA 2000. And I have read of a lot of other people having issues. The same transducer is sold by all the usual marine electronics suspects, sometimes under different model names, but all the same thing.

Not much to do but make sure the connections are clean and tight. I have a Lowrence here in NJ that gives me me trouble at least once a year. Cleaning seems to solve the problem until next year.

If it is consistent and very precise in the number changing....

Sounds like something in the depthfinder more so than environmental or transducer.

Losing bottom regularly is common, but a regular and steady countdown then back is new to me.

What's the transducer? I have had a lot of trouble with the Airmar DT800/DST800 "smart" transducer that connects directly to NMEA 2000. And I have read of a lot of other people having issues. The same transducer is sold by all the usual marine electronics suspects, sometimes under different model names, but all the same thing.

I have 2 Airmar transducers. Believe one is a DT800. Depth is fine; temperature is all over the place.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom